Anyone Make Up Their Own Ossa Diagnostic Cable?

trialtrial

OK are there any electronic/computer geeks out there who have an OSSA TR280?  I tried to buy the cable from an ex distributor and they wanted $650CAD ($500USD) - no way.  I cannot find one for sale in elsewhere.  BTwice does not respond.

If I know the proper communications protocol, a cable could be made up for under $40CAD, which would include the connectors to the OSSA.

After hunting around I was able to find out some information:

Two of the four pins on the diagnostic connector are for power.  The other two are for communications.

Looking at a picture of the BTWICE cable (from USB) it shows some electronics for protocol conversion, but I cannot quite see any chip numbers.

Looking at the factory cable.  It has USB to DB9 (probably a RS232 converted), then DB9 to Kokusan Communcation Unit CS9701, then to the bike.

Unfortunately I am unable to get my hands on a cable, so I can scope out the hardware signal.

My best guess, from lowest to highest voltage is:

TTL 3V

TTL 5V

RS232

RS485

I strongly doubt RS232, because the factory cable already comes with a USB to DB9 converter, which is likely RS232.  This then gets fed into the KCU.  So that leaves TTL or RS485.

Sure wish I could get my hands on a cable to I could put a scope on it.

Yes, we have been talking.

Too bad I don't have a scope anymore...might be able to borrow a scope meter in a couple of weeks.

I had a hard time actually buying the proper connectors.

(Bring your bike over and we can ride too! - but they probably won't let you push the bike across- my Explorer is plated, so I could ride it on the ferry)

Mark

• Like 1

Hello when i bought my bike the dealer was nice enought to supply a shop manual and one page talks about what ossa requires for a diagnostic cable. Says the usb to serial(rs232) adapter must have the FTDI chip. So if you go to FTDIchip.com they list a cable with the chip part# usb-rs232-we-1800-bt_5.0 which is 6 feet long. They also say to download ftdi drivers to work properly. The connector on the bike is red +12v, black -12v, white txd, yellow rxd, white/blue +5v, black/yellow -5v. Ossa model 2013 and down will be a four pin connecter which is minus the 12v pos and neg. maybe ktm would have a connecter. Also the cable is 24dollars? if someone buys this and works let us know.

This really is an interesting thread. Trialtrial hasn't mentioned exactly what his motive is for wanting to communicate with the internal electronics, but diagnostics are mentioned in the title. I don't own an Ossa 280, my experience with Ossa ends with MAR. But I do have a little experience on Motronic systems, maybe, just maybe this may help some towards understanding the TR 280 system. 1/ Communications cable seems your some way towards getting to communicate, if you manage to locate the correct 'chip' combined with the correct soft/firm ware, you might get to the point of being able to download a series of zero's and ones, you would then need the correct software to be able to change the data into some kind of graph. I don't know how complicated the internal electronics are on the 280 system or wether you just want to read data (amount of spark to throttle opening, to rpm maybe) or wether you want to make changes. I just wonder how complicated or simple the electronics are ! My understanding (please correct me if i'm wrong) is that there is a sensor to compensate for atmospheric pressure, if so then the system seems 'a bit trick'  There is a world of difference between collecting data and making changes to the internal structure, take things really softly softly, you could 'brick' the system.   

The software is free for the OSSA.

It is really something you need to have (or a local dealer has) to keep the bike running correctly. At least in my experience.

It seems mine likes to have the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) 'reset' to the ECU about every 100 hours or so. I don't know if the TPS starts to drift, or perhaps other variables in the system (like connectors getting dirty and increasing resistance).

Also the ECU stores errors, like high current draw for fuel pump (generally a sign the filter requires replacement).

To properly change idle sped with stock throttle body you need the software/hardware (I have a BTWICE the olle body that allows idle speed adjustment anytime. I've never needed it, but figured if the bike had an issue way up in the mountains that feature could be well worth the cost)

I really like the injection, but I aware of possible issues and required extra tools.

Mark

Seems this thread is getting even more interesting, a bit of 'wiki' would be interesting to all parties !  Johny Rotten Dab maybe able to enlighten us, as to the data lead configuration. I've had a word with my guru/geek friend, he seems to think the lead isn't really that much of a problem, the FTDI chip should come already configured, need a specific protocol for the ECU (probably what Lotus 54 is talking about), and an analog to digital converter (maybe). My guru friends last words Volkswagon used to charge £650 for a data lead, now the're 15 quid on ebay. Sounds reminicent to trialtrials $650 CAN  for an Ossa lead.  I would love to be able, to give a complete A thru Z guide  (a bit of WIKI) on how to configure the cable and through the download, but i'm not conversant with the Ossa, but reading (between thhe lines) of this thread, almost there.  

Found a full datasheet on the cable:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_USB_RS232_CABLES.pdf

According to the web, some cables come with a unique ID burned into it them. 

Not sure you can burn this ID yourself if you purchase a new cable though.

And then not sure if they use that ID as part of a larger software system...

If the software is free and isn't tied to a specific cable (or we can re-use an ID), I am hopeful somebody will have success.

---

When I took my explorer to the mountains, I had to manually adjust the throttle position bolt/nut...to keep the bike from stalling.

I think the preferred way is to use the software...so would be great to have that option!

Hey lotus did you have to load the drivers first and then k-scan software then k-rite datapc. Was it on a disc, any problems. Ossa says it designed for xp but windows 7 and8 will work great if the optimal cable with ftdi chip is used. You can download the driver off the web page. They dont recomend other drivers.

Hey lotus did you have to load the drivers first and then k-scan software then k-rite datapc. Was it on a disc, any problems. Ossa says it designed for xp but windows 7 and8 will work great if the optimal cable with ftdi chip is used. You can download the driver off the web page. They dont recomend other drivers.

It has been awhile- I probably installed the software first, then drivers, then plugged in cable.

I'm running it with XP.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...