Full Face Hemets For Trials. Or Are We Too English For Them?

iconic558

Last time I looked the ACU required a trials helmet to comply with the same standards as for road use.

The minimum requirement for a UK rider to take part in an ACU event is for the helmet to have a Silver or Gold ACU sticker for off-road events and a Gold ACU Sticker for events on tarmac or other hard surface.  Helmets are independently tested prior to receiving the appropriate sticker approval, in addition to any statutory approval required (CE22.05).  Trials competitors may use any appropriate helmet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wore my enduro helmet all day at Corten Trials Park today. I had been wearing it whilst practicing in my woods but Corten was the big test for me. I now don't think about it being odd.

DIdn't get any hotter than if I'd worn my open face and with the nasty lumps of concrete they have at Corten, I gota say I felt a tad more comfortable in the super slippery conditions.

As for vision, not an issue....one might say if you are looking down where the chin guard is maybe you should be looking further up the section.

I've purchase a Six Six One helmet as in the start of the thread as its 50% lighter with more vents so I'll chime back when I've tried that.

Its all a very personal thing but I can't see my self going back to open face at the moment.

hope this helps

Ok used my 661 fullface helmet today and its great....light at 900grms ish and well vented, lower chinguard is cool. Good fit and finish. 46 quid delivered from a blowout deal.

I'm Totally converted to full face now, dont even notice it...i'm riding stuff i would quake at before, its helped my confidence on the tougher rockie stuff for sure.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Ive only just recently got my first trials bike so I've been using all my mx/enduro gear and to be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable in an open face lid,but having said that my arai gets a bit swetty and I reckon a mtb lid might be the answer. I'm not going to give up my body armour just yet as I'm beating myself up fairly good as it is

Ok used my 661 fullface helmet today and its great....light at 900grms ish and well vented, lower chinguard is cool. Good fit and finish. 46 quid delivered from a blowout deal.

I'm Totally converted to full face now, dont even notice it...i'm riding stuff i would quake at before, its helped my confidence on the tougher rockie stuff for sure.

Just my 2 cents

where did you get the 661 helmet from please?

I personally don`t care what helmet anyone wears. But a helmet should not give you more confidence to ride bigger obstacles. Your ability should be what gives you the desire and will to ride untried obstacles. Then again I started riding trials before helmets were required.

• Like 2

I'm still of the opinion that full face helmets made for other disciplines are rather poor for trials. They're all optimized for forward visibility, not side to side and down. Generally, they all also weigh too much. There are guys here that wear them, and tend to stick with downhill MTB helmets which are the best compromise.

What I'd be more interested in is a trials helmet with some sort of face protection, like this: https://youtu.be/-yXI1fNNIS8?t=22m22s

It's hard to see, but take a look at the guy minding. He's got a clear bit of plastic that hangs down in front of his chin. No idea if this is a do-it-yourself job or something more official, but it's definitely got visibility in mind.

I personally don`t care what helmet anyone wears. But a helmet should not give you more confidence to ride bigger obstacles. Your ability should be what gives you the desire and will to ride untried obstacles. Then again I started riding trials before helmets were required.

You're confusing me with someone with some ability

I agree that you should be free to wear any type of helmet that meets certain protection standards for your safety if it's full or open face.

I don't see what this video does to move the discussion forward. According to this video they haven't posted video of the crash itself so if thats true we don't know yet what helmet he was wearing (unless you have more info or have seen the video).

In most of the videos I can find of him riding he is wearing a pudding bowl skateboard helmet which would explain further his head injury and facial damage, if that was what he was wearing as these provide minimal protection.

He mentions a face guard that broke away which doesn't sound like a full coverage downhill approved helmet as to meet the qualifications they may not have any type of removable face guard.

His spinal injury would probably have happened no matter what helmet he was wearing as it sounds like it is from head/neck compression from head first into concrete or rock.

So I'll wait to see what further information shows.

I hope he is able to have full recovery and is able to ride again soon,

A quick Google search finds the crash video and he was wearing a skateboard type helmet.

EDIT - sorry, wrong crash. This was an earlier one where he face planted doing stunts on a bmx and lost a load of teeth. I don't think there's a video of the latest BAD crash.

Edited by maggar