Matchless G3

mjc477

Sorry,

It isn't a trials model, Eng number would include G3C, and they had areadsy gone to alloy motors before they went to a spring frame, not a trials frame either - but having said that could still be a load of fun in the right trials - as long as you just want to be joining in - not winning trophies.

Full development history - model by model, year by year is in our digital magazine.

To whet your appetite here is an AMC sales poster picture of the 347cc trials model introduced in September 1958 as the 1959 model, seen here in Matchless colours. The noticeable point of this model, immediately dubbed the ‘Jackson Replica’ but never sold as such by the factory, was the flattened tube ends of the swinging arm around the wheel spindle. All its predecessors

were longer and heavily lugged at this point. Note that the rear suspension units were the same length, 15.5”, as those fitted to the lightweight 250s, except the spring rates were different and the trials models had the adjustable spring preload.

post-19290-0-78592100-1476726467_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

As Deryk said it may not be a correct trials model, but you have the main elements of a load of fun there. Despite what the moaners would say about expensive "Pre65" bikes,there are plenty of trials to ride where you could have a days fun with a load of like minded folk. What you do need is the will,effort,knowledge and cash to get that bike up to scratch.

It is a VERY satisfying thing to do,especially if you do the bike yourself,you don't need to spend thousands or have the very latest this or that,just make it reliable and have all the controls working smoothly.Four of us rode rigids around the South Birmingham Greensmith Memorial trial yesterday, two BSA's and two AMC's, none of them are trick,just well sorted.We had a day out I will remember for a long time,brilliant fun.

• Like 5

I totally agree..it would be a fun bike..

But I am in the middle of a couple of other restorations that have merged into rebuilds..

And this is a big project and it won't get time for a good while..

I will have a good look over the weekend and decide which way to go...

It really needs someone with a shed full of spares to sling at it..

• 2 weeks later...

Well ...compression was good so I thought what have I to loose..

Freed everything off ...carb is spotless...flushed engine ...Everything doing what it should...snapped plug of flush????bugger...

Head off got that sorted ....magneto just sent off tonight for rebuild as it was dead as a dodo ...so hopefully good to go when it comes back...

Does anyone have a tatty seat they don't want...probably a single sprung job would do

..nothing to clean!