Trials World

bdmc

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, what would you be subscribing to? The news articles? There's certainly some value there, especially considering the exclusivity of some of them but enough to justify a subscription fee? Like Marky says, many people (myself included) usually jump straight to the forums and rarely look at the front page. The value of the forums themselves lies in the experience and technical knowlege of the members but there are thousands of free motorcycle technical discussion groups on the 'net. Apart from the fact that you're talking to like-minded trials enthusiasts here, in actual fact there's not much here that can't be found elsewhere (although more effort may be required to find it).

The way that other sites I frequent have handled the same problem is to not display ads to subscribers and/or split the site content into "standard" and "premium" where non-subscribers can only see a summary of articles, not the entire content. Another possibility is to allow non-subscribers to read the forums but not post on them.

Having said that, I'd certainly pay a reasonable sum to continue reading and posting on TC but that's because I've been here a while and have got to know a few of the people - the TC "hardcore" if you like, and that'd be my primary motivator in shelling out. That's not true for the vast majority of the membership who (quite rightly since that's what it and the web is designed for), use TC as an invaluable source of occasional information. If TC moved to a subscription model, I'm sure membership would dwindle and people would simply go elsewhere or start a trials Yahoo group or whatever, turning TC into some introverted private club, a situation that would benefit no-one.

When it comes down to it, TC is Andy's site and bills have to be paid. While I know he does it out of a love of the sport and that goes a long way, I still don't envy his situation and I don't think that there are any easy answers.

BTW, I've re-read my previous posts re. TrialsWorld and I'd like to clarify by saying that in no way was I criticising the amount of work that JD and the team at TMX obviously put into each issue. My critical comments were my humble opinion and nothing else. However, the way that it was rushed onto the market, the way that it was apparently run as an afterthought and the way that it was quickly withdrawn when the job was done (ie, the competition were crushed) still suggests to me that the whole thing was a cynical marketing strategy ordered from on high somewhere in the parent publishing organisation. To those people directly involved in the actual production of the magazine: Well done and thanks!

I think I need a sig change to include "grumpy old bugger" or something...:rolleyes:

Edited by neonsurge

This is off the original topic, I know. But for six and a half years I ran a website very similar to this for owners of Buell road bikes (it still runs very successfully). We went through all the options to fund the site, donations, advertising, sponsors etc...

The most successful of them all in terms of satisfaction amongst members and for fund raising was an auction held at a christmas meeting. We have an annual meal at a hotel where most folks stay over the night and get pretty well plastered. But after the meal we hold an auction where lots of people have donated bike related stuff they no longer need. All the members who want anything bid and the money raised funds the group. It works very well and we get donations from traders too.

In terms of resources to run a site like this, the biggest is not money it is time. And after six and a half years of running a site I was tired out!

So regarding the offer of a transfer to a TMX subscription or DBR subscription.

Is there any reason why DBR can't contain some quality trials content ? It didn't have any in the last copy I looked at, why can't TrialsWorld be run as a sub-publicationin with Dirt Bag Rider ?

Surely that helps DBR with readership, we get some form of YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE, and the MXers get some education. WIN/WIN/WIN scenario.

However I wouldn't sign up to the transfer without a commitment from DBR for X pages of trials content in each issue at least to the end of the transfered subscription.

Was Trialsworld a subscription-only magazine?? I ask as I never actually saw it on sale anywhere. Now, I'll be honest, I didn't go miles out of my way to find it, but when you consider I work in Leeds City Centre and pop into WH Smiths a couple of times a week, I figured I'd stumble across it, have a look and, if it was any good, buy it.

I apply the same policy with TMX. If there's something I want to read about, I'll generally buy it. But not always.

As for a subscription to TC - depends how much it is :rolleyes: Its a difficult question. When people have got used to summat fer nowt, its hard work persuading them to start paying for the same service. People would generally expect more in return for the subscription - human nature. So then we ask - what MORE could we add to TC that would make it considerably better? Not a great deal if you ask me. We get up to date news, opinion, plenty of space to air our views, social events occasionally, and even our own trial. We've got it pretty (no - make that VERY) good.

So, do we speculate to accumulate? Do we look for sponsors / subscription to get the money in so that TC can then advertise or sponsor events or riders, and in turn perhaps generate more revenue? But then it becomes a business - and very rarely do business and pleasure mix. Andy (and the rest of the team) give so much time and effort because they enjoy it...but when the money gets involved the pressure increases and the fun goes out of it.

Its a hard call...and not one I would like to make. But thats what democracy is all about!!!

Right, time to go kick a stranger....(5 a-side night - I'm not a mentalist!!)

Laters

Chris Mo.

• 1 month later...

I only bought 2 issues on TW, and was about to subscribe when i found out it went balls up. Ohh well

On the part about TC subscription. I am registered on www.SV650.org, a forum for my road bike. which is more or less the same as this website, a good helpfull community. They regularly have get togethers,partys, camping, trackdays and rideouts throughout the year. When they had money troubles they just asked people to donate through paypal, and in return they had 'site sponsor' put above their name. Just look through the posts, nearly every one is a site sponsor now. I think you can donate any amount of money. So that caters for the richer and the poorer.

I like the idea of stickers. I would pay

:( I like everyone was hacked off when trials world folded its a pity cos for a magazine dedicated purely to our wonderful sport could not survive, i had been on subscription since the start surely some of the features could move over to the paper to stop it being dominated by mx ie. dougies column say once a month, test rides on the trials specials etc. So come on tmx give us trialers more for our money