Pro Engine Really Noisy

gasgasshetland

Hi There, I have rebuilt my 2014 pro racing with new crank main bearings. All sounded good when rotating prior to putting in he clutch assembly. Whilst doing the rebuild I changed the kickstart half gear and the idler gear it contacts with as they were both damaged. Am now thinking that the clutch basket gear and the main gear on the crank will need to be changed having read that even hairline scratches can cause them to be noisy. I have inspected them and they look ok ,but can't think of anything else to try. It seems that the clutch basket and main gear are a matched pair at around £200.

Has anyone any experience of the clutch basket causing a lot of noise. It doesn't go away with pulling in the clutch.

I have found that if there is damage to either of those gears, it can often be removed with a die grinder or Dremel tool as you just need to remove a high spot that is causing the knocking sound. I have found damage on all four of the gears that you mentioned, but have always managed to salvage the clutch basket gear with a bit of dressing. The primary drive and the idler are easy to replace, and can be a bit of a bear to repair if the damage is too great.

Spencer

Got to the bottom of my issue. Turns out the new main bearings I installed are to wide. Correct size 22.95mm wide on the centre race. The one I took out thinking I done something wrong turned out to be 23.03 mm so no wonder it wasn't right.

I had sent a video to factory Kev at GasGas uk and he told me of the issue of the Xiu bearings coming from the factory incorrectly machined.

Now have managed to get a correct sized set so going to get them installed and hopefully that will it all be sorted.

To say am p****d off with it is an understatement.

• Like 1

Only just noticed this but Jim was not banned. He was warned repeatedly about promoting his business ventures yet carried on doing so. He was warned yet again and after a bit of toy throwing from pram he asked for his account to be removed.

There is considerable cost, time and effort involved in providing this site and these forums. They do not exist for people to get free advertising. It is the only rule that is enforced and it is not an unreasonable rule.

• Like 3