The First Chinese Trials Bike

stelio10gr

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. With the growth of wealth in China imagine a huge market opening for all things trials. Couple hundred thousand of these things in the domestic market means thousands of the more "exotic" European bikes which will be highly desired. 700-800 Ferrari's sold into China each year. Imagine if trials caught on in a big way.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Watched a documentary a short while ago on the Chinese SL5000 wind turbine. Very clever especially achieving a tolerance of 6 micron on the machining of a bearing over 3 metre diameter. Also you can buy a chinese "replica" of a suzuki single cylinder 4T 250cc road bike for £2,200. Clearly China has the capability to make things well and cheaply. Sooner or later they are going to put the two together and there is no reason given the potential size of their internal market why they should not produce top spec trials bikes for well under £3,000

• 2 weeks later...

6 micron accuracy in the machining of a bearing 3m in diameter ! I believe everything I see on the telly and in the news as well.

Just to clarify, a Micron is one millionth of a metre or one thousandth of a mm, more usually used to describe a surface finish than a dimensional machining tolerance.

Edited by collyolly
  • Like 3

6 micron accuracy in the machining of a bearing 3m in diameter ! I believe everything I see on the telly and in the news as well.

Just to clarify, a Micron is one millionth of a metre or one thousandth of a mm, more usually used to describe a surface finish than a dimensional machining tolerance.

Thats your dadyoff for u

• Like 1

Thats brought some memories back. I used to grind jobs to these tolerances when i was an apprentice back in tbe early 80's. Job was left to condition (stabilize) in a standards room for 8 hours (temperature and humidity controlled area)....measure, grind, stabilze and remeasure and so on.

As part of our fitting module we made a 1" cube that was flat, square and parallel to 2.5 hundredths of a mil' by hand....using nothing but a file.

• Like 2

Thats brought some memories back. I used to grind jobs to these tolerances when i was an apprentice back in tbe early 80's. Job was left to condition (stabilize) in a standards room for 8 hours (temperature and humidity controlled area)....measure, grind, stabilze and remeasure and so on.

As part of our fitting module we made a 1" cube that was flat, square and parallel to 2.5 hundredths of a mil' by hand....using nothing but a file.

I remember from apprenticeship college having to make a square plug about 25mm long and 25mm across the flats from a piece of round and a square hole in a piece of flat plate all with hand tools and it had to fit perfectly all eight ways and all the way along. Lots of filing in that one

Mock you might - remember when the then mighty BSA Triumph and the rest of the British motorcycle industry laughed at those funny little step throughs Honda were making?

I am also well aware what a micron is - Honda has been specifying sizes in microns for vehicle parts since 1980s, possibly earlier.

I do not know how accurate the documentary was.  As well stating the 6 micron tolerance, it said that this was one of only 3 factories in the world that could achieve that tolerance. Other parts of the turbine erection were secret / not allowed to be shown, suggesting seems the company believes it has a lead on other manufacturers.

The Hubble space telescope mirror is reported to be ground to an accuracy of 1/800,000 of an inch which is far more accurate than 6 micron so it would seem that these tolerances are achievable.

To some extent the 6 micron tolerance is irrelevant. There is little doubt the chinese can produce high quality engineered items and at low cost

6 micron is not that accurate it is about 2 & 1/2 tenths of a thou.

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...