The First Chinese Trials Bike

stelio10gr

4 minutes ago, michael_t said:

ahhh yes... now I remember why people outside the UK hesitate to post here.

Monsieur, that bike should be re named Tenaci Wight .... ......If that's how it performs with crap plastic tyres imagine how good its going to be with a set of Michelins fitted.

• Like 1

It looked a real fun bike and sounded great, certainly reminded me of my Scorpa 200F which is my default bike.

Frankly riding this would make very little difference  to the average rider and they would likely enjoy themselves a whole lot more not being dragged across the hillside on some factory 300 that barely comes off idle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

After watching that bike in the video it is obviously useless and very heavy...the traction is useless....its probably caused by those hard plasticky nylon CST tyres it has fitted.....no wonder it could not get up those banks .....being that the conditions were dry and there was a lot of grip imagine how useless it would be if the ground was wet or there was a heavy frost ....beginners and novices would have a problem with the low power out put of that motor and its massive weight .......it seems unusual that Canada has a different second hand market as regards trials motorcycles I thought it would have been exactly the same as the UK ....isn't the rest of the world the same as the UK.

It's Ontario Canada and its January !.....the ground is frozen hard as a rock ,getting up that bank  without studs in the tires is an accomplishment in itself.

1 hour ago, Bmonk said:
2 hours ago, oni nou said:

After watching that bike in the video it is obviously useless and very heavy...the traction is useless....its probably caused by those hard plasticky nylon CST tyres it has fitted.....no wonder it could not get up those banks .....being that the conditions were dry and there was a lot of grip imagine how useless it would be if the ground was wet or there was a heavy frost ....beginners and novices would have a problem with the low power out put of that motor and its massive weight .......it seems unusual that Canada has a different second hand market as regards trials motorcycles I thought it would have been exactly the same as the UK ....isn't the rest of the world the same as the UK.

It's Ontario Canada and its January !.....the ground is frozen hard as a rock ,getting up that bank  without studs in the tires is an accomplishment in itself.

I suspect that oni nou's post was intended to be interpreted as being sarcastic humour

• Like 2

I was out riding yesterday at -10 and at that temperature even my Michelins can get pretty stiff. Riding on frozen ground can make it tougher than you might think... I made a silly error riding last winter and ended up falling over it wasn't anything drastic but I can tell you that falling onto frozen ground is nothing at all like falling on the ground in the summer. It really knocks the wind out of you and makes you ride a little more cautiously when in similar conditions :unsure:  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, michael_t said:

I was out riding yesterday at -10 and at that temperature even my Michelins can get pretty stiff. .

Please tell me that is -10C not -10F

I would think the petrol gets a bit stiff at that temperature never mind the tyres.

Yes -10c I typically don't ride colder than that as fingers on the leavers get really cold even through gloves. Petrol isn't an issue even at -40 (which is the same for C and F) but below -10 you need to start thinking about changing the jets - I suppose the EFI on the TW200 would actually be a benefit as far as that goes. 

• Like 2

We were going to have a demo day this Saturday, at the Tryals Shop in NY. A major snow storm is now predicted with blizzard conditions, so the date has been postponed, until we get a milder weekend. I was really looking forward to riding these bikes, and can't wait until the new date!.

• Like 1

@ric h  is It the fact that the Chinese managed to make such a great performing trials bike that has annoyed you .........If not why are you annoyed that I said it was excellent and would be a great bike for a novice or beginner ?.    You bought one so I am guessing you just take everything that is in print literally.........do you find that you have a lot of under car damage when someone tells you to go straight over the roundabout .after being given directions?

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 5:25 AM, ChrisCH said:

I think it would be possible to revive a UK brand, but clearly developing a new engine is not cost effective.  The obvious thing is to buy in an engine and build a UK frame.  There are few engines available, The obvious one being Rotax as they are one of the few manufacturers that sell just engines.  I have no idea if the Rotax is suitable for this application?  They are sold for go-karts and I would think therefore have a different power delivery to that which a trials bike needs.  I'd love to hear if anyone has any expertise in this area.  Also I don't know if this meets the current Euro 4 needs?  Even with the UK out the EU we will still need to comply with all the European standards if we are to sell into that market.

There is a good spread of technology there already with the Italian and Spanish bikes and Montesa Honda benefiting from the new EU-Japan deal.  It would be a very tough market to enter, particularly as an outsider.  That said the brands like BSA are very well known and could be a selling point, however you would first need to buy the brand from whoever owns it.

Basically we are reinventing the wheel and the way to go is to buy the Chinese bike!

If someone wanted to make their own bike they could buy a Chinese crate engine, build frame and source other parts. There's even a 2 stroke option with electric start with counterbalancer. Engines would probably cost half or less if bought from the source. The horizontal pit bike engines would have a lot of low end grunt. The Chinese even make a KTM 105cc 2 stroke clone engine which would be very light and good for trials if tuned correctly. 

https://gpxmoto.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=10

http://www.shinebike.com/product-detail-232309.html