The First Chinese Trials Bike

stelio10gr

I think by the time you built your frame and bought all the parts like brakes, forks, shocks, tank, plastics ... you would find things really added up, the gearing and clutch would not be ideal and your resale would be very low - but maybe a fun project none the less ? 

Edited by michael_t

22 minutes ago, michael_t said:

I think by the time you built your frame and bought all the parts like brakes, forks, shocks, tank, plastics ... you would find things really added up, the gearing and clutch would not be ideal and your resale would be very low - but maybe a fun project none the less ? 

Like this?

2 hours ago, sectionone said:

If someone wanted to make their own bike they could buy a Chinese crate engine, build frame and source other parts. There's even a 2 stroke option with electric start with counterbalancer. Engines would probably cost half or less if bought from the source. The horizontal pit bike engines would have a lot of low end grunt. The Chinese even make a KTM 105cc 2 stroke clone engine which would be very light and good for trials if tuned correctly. 

I think most people in Europe would want a European engine though.  Otherwise just buy the ready made Chinese bike.  There is real consumer resistance to Chinese stuff (as we can see on the thread).

I was thinking originally about a UK brand like AJS or Matchless that could be a real marketing tool.  If I am honest I have no idea if there would be a market for such a bike - the Triumph bikes are mass market road bikes and the new Norton (I want one...) is a top end machine for rich people but again a road bike.  Trials is more about competence than branding and the top riders already are brand ambassadors.  You might just get Rotax powered bikes seen as "British" but not a Chinese engined one.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, ChrisCH said:

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, ChrisCH said:

I think it would be possible to revive a UK brand, but clearly developing a new engine is not cost effective.  The obvious thing is to buy in an engine  The obvious one being Rotax as they are one of the few manufacturers that sell just engines.  I have no idea if the Rotax is suitable for this application?  They are sold for go-karts and I would think therefore have a different power delivery to that which a trials bike needs.

You may like to check out SWM trials motorcycles around 1977and the Armstrong  or Aprilia trials  bikes  or the Scorpa 294/ 295 works trials bike and the Scorpa Easy model trials bikes made in the 90's.

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Actually that was the first internet rumor they had to deal with... which they did by posting a noise test on facebook showing the current version is quieter than a GG at idle and half throttle. It has been super cold the last few weeks but they will be bringing a demo down for the motorcycle show here in Nova Scotia the first weekend in March (indoor). Looking forward to seeing one in person.

Surely an enthusiastic importer should not have to be bodging up the exhaust on a machine produced in 2018 by one of the world's biggest manufacturing nations?

While that test was not carried out to the FIM standard it doesn't lead me to think that the bike would pass such a test, which involves full throttle.

• 1 month later...