Beta 4T Head Gasket

rob270beta

Hi guys , think i may have head gasket gone , any tips on replacing would be very much appreciated. I do have a download of the workshop manual which is quite good as a start . It mentions about a tdc locking bolt but im not sure exactly where it is !.Do i need to remove water pump shaft or can i leave it in place and just drop chain off camshaft sprocket . Thanks Rob

Hi guys , think i may have head gasket gone , any tips on replacing would be very much appreciated. I do have a download of the workshop manual which is quite good as a start  It m.entions about a tdc locking bolt but im not sure exactly where it is !.Do i need to remove water pump shaft or can i leave it in place and just drop chain off camshaft sprocket . Thanks Rob

The locking bolt is a normal allen headed set screw located on the lower right hand front of the crankcase.  It is shown as item 7 on page 51 of the workshop manual. Under the head is a copper (or is it brass?) washer. Remove the washer and screw the bolt back in again and it will seat completely when at TDC as it's machined end sits in a recess in the crank.  No force will be needed but you will have to jiggle the crank back and forth to get the right position.  DO NOT LOSE THE WASHER as it will be needed when you've finished to ensure the screw doesn't contact the crank when running.  

Don't remove the adjacent silver headed screw, that is the oil pressure relief valve.

Can't help with the specifics of head removal, but I think you have to remove the water pump shaft in order to get the chain loose.

Some years back I had water leaking from just below the water pump housing, I thought it was head gasket and had it changed but still leaking turned out to be the outer water pump seal which leaks into a cavity between the inner and outer seals and come out through a special hole to prevent water entering the cylinder

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, pay close attention to the water pump seal and the impeller shaft. I thought mine had blown a head gasket, but then realized the bottom of the water pump had a weep hole. None of the "experts" on this engine in the US seemed to know anything about that when my problem originally developed, though. All told me to replace the head gasket.