Cota 348 Mr Counter Weight And Clutch Extraction

stinger108

Hi,

trying to extract the counterweight and the clutch and i have some question:

1.- i guess i need a 2 leg extractor. any advice where to buy for this model?

2.- both nuts are out. do i have to remove any other element before?

3.- is counterweight first to be removed and then the clutch?

advice please!!

thanks in advanced

I made a similar post about a year ago. You can buy various pullers on eBay for around 20 pounds. I had to give a firm 'tap' on the shafts too.. If you're planning on removing the primary gear, then prepare yourself for some trauma!!! Good luck..

This has been covered so a search may help. The electric flywheel comes off easily with a screw in puller. 

the counterweight flywheel is another matter. the big flywheel often comes off easily but a two or three leg puller will get it off easy. The clutch often falls off but if its not been apart before may need a bit of help with a puller or even a pair of tyre levers. Look out for the three little rollers that should drop out at the same time.

the drive gear on the crank is the ******* that will not come off with out a fight. its a press fit there is very little room behind the gear teeth to get any simple and cheep puller in. I made a two legged puller based on something like the vauxhall steering wheel puller. it also needs a clamp wrapping around it to prevent it slipping off. then I applied some heat with a blowtorch. it goes with a bang when it lets go so be very careful.

http://www.paddockspares.com/steering-wheel-puller-gm.html?gclid=CLrCmIuvmdACFQ4R0wodwvsBKg.

when you put it all back together make sure the flywheel is nice and tight on the shaft, and the nut is wired. these do fall off and can damage the very long thin and keyed crankshaft. there have been a few people found they have been welded back on following broken shafts. (me!) 

thanks very much. couldn't find post before.

i got a 4" puller on eBay, too small, i am getting a bigger one

my intention is to fully disassembly the engine, replace old parts and assembly again. first time for me, so hope will not end in a box to the garage 

• 2 weeks later...

got th puller and manage to extract the primary gear. but there is a little metal plate welded to the crankshaft that prevents to fully remove the gear. the metal plate fits on the hole of the counterweight.

any idea/sugestion?

two pics below

post-18818-0-73226000-1480021717_thumb.jpg

post-18818-0-05553300-1480021774_thumb.jpg

That's a woodruff key you need to take that off the crank, tap down on the end closest to the gear and the other end should pop up then use a drift to knock it out of its hole, thay can be really tight in there, I always repace these as they can sheer, usually when you are furthest away from your transport home.

now fighting with the gearbox sprocket. removed the nut and washer and got the puller but it is not coming out. am i forgetting anything as the sprocket is not moving a millimeter?

also the crankshaft is stuck to the left side of the crankcase (the right side come out very easily). Hammered on tip of shaft but not coming out. any advice?

thanks again

post-18818-0-36187500-1480883105_thumb.jpg

Sprocket:

The sprocket is on a taper. If you use heat to help it break free it will probably melt the oil seal but if you are rebuilding the motor it probably doesn't matter.

I usually cut old sprockets off my 348 with a 100mm angle grinder. Works a treat

Crankshaft:

Remove the seal holder

Warm the casing to free up the bearing outer

Edited by feetupfun

Stick your puller on and wind it up.

Take it as tight as it will go.

Then tap the end of the puller the end with a hammer, sending the shock into the crank shaft.

Loosen off the puller then repeat the process.

This is how I did it and it took about 30 minutes and 3 or 4 attempts, applying pressure, tapping the end of the shaft etc..

It eventually just popped off whilst the puller was tight and I was standing around chatting.