Brake Pedal Assembly

bultacobrian

So, I didn't take enough pics when disassembling and I need some verification for my mod 165 Alpina. I believe I have the pivot part sorted out, but there was a spring in the bag of brake parts that I thought was a pedal return spring. There's a hole in the pedal that looks about right for it and it looks like the spring has worn a few grooves into the pedal it self but I don't see where the other end of the spring could attach to anything. Maybe there's a hole in the swingarm bushing or something? Most pics online either have an earlier assembly or are unclear. Some look like they have the hole but no spring. Is there supposed to be a return spring, and if so, where does it attach? Thanks in advance!

So, I didn't take enough pics when disassembling and I need some verification for my mod 165 Alpina. I believe I have the pivot part sorted out, but there was a spring in the bag of brake parts that I thought was a pedal return spring. There's a hole in the pedal that looks about right for it and it looks like the spring has worn a few grooves into the pedal it self but I don't see where the other end of the spring could attach to anything. Maybe there's a hole in the swingarm bushing or something? Most pics online either have an earlier assembly or are unclear. Some look like they have the hole but no spring. Is there supposed to be a return spring, and if so, where does it attach? Thanks in advance!

Bultaco brake pedals don't usually have a return spring on the pedal, or the rod, or the cable, but there is no good reason not to fit one if you want to.

If its the hole I'm thinking of it's for the brake light switch actuating link/spring.

Some rear brake light switches mount on the swingarm and some mount to the frame above the swingarm pivot

Gotcha! OK! For what it's worth, all of the lights and speedo and extra were stripped or non-existent before I got to it, so that makes some sense. I'm a drummer and can appreciate the feel of a return spring on a pedal, but we'll see how it goes, err, stops first!

@Model80, you're right! But my phone was too dead to snap pics and I was banking on image searches to bail me out, but here I am. I did find an old pic of the pedal, post-disassembly, but pre-unassembled if that makes sense, and without a spring, and it seems there's another washer I need to scare up for it.

Thanks @feetupfun !!

• Like 2

Nah, it's not aftermarket, definitely stocked, and then modified. Thanks though! The spring in question is a standard looking spring with 2 open hooks on the end. Unfortunately I won't be back in the barn until Friday, but I did find a pic of the brake pedal that I believe was taken before disassembly, but it's from the bottom, so I'll have to stare at that a bit to get it upright. I'm no photographer, but I do have a couple of gems for you folks soon.

-bb

• Like 2