Pirelli Mt43 Front Tyre ,any Good?

tugg

Hi ,I'm new to trials but not competing just using it as a bit of enduro practice at the moment,I'm looking to get a new front tyre for my gasgas pro as its passed its best .I've found some mt43's on the net at a good price ,Is this because no one will touch them with a barge pole or are they ok? 

The MT43 isn't a real trials tire... it's a trials tire pattern, but it's made for enduro bikes. Don't put one on a real trials bike. What you probably want is a Dunlop D803 if you can't get a Michelin X11.

You would actually want either the Dunlop D803 GP (much better trials tire that older stock D803) for the best price, or the Michelin X-Light (haven't been able to buy X11 in USA for a while now; though many new bikes still come with X11 Michelin tires and work very well)

• Like 1

The MT43 came stock on all Aprilia Climber`s sold. The front was the best as it had a wider foot print. I have not ridden on a current one. Kind of wonder if something has changed as they are sold as street legal. Might be worth trying on my 348.

Edited by lineaway

I've used them on an enduro kdx220 and they were excellent around kent and wiltshire. Hare and hounds and trail riding

It was a long time ago, 2005 'ish and I'm sure the later compound and build recipes are even better.

They were used and liked by the more cerebral South West and Welsh trail riders....almost unfair when the going got technical.

Supposed to be worse than a mx tyre in mud but i never had any issues.

Nowhere near as gummy aa a full on modern trials tyre so ultimate grip won't be as good.....but would you notice?

On the plus side mileage was good on my kdx220.

If you want to use to for enduro practice I would buy some. I see them used for trials too by far, far better riders than myself.

If they are cheap check the date stamp cartouche of manufacturing....four figure number.

For example 3415 would be 34th week in 2015.

How old is too old....depends on storage, with good correct storage I still wouldn't go past 3 years maximum but I'm no tyre expert so err on the side of caution.

'Most' name brand tyre manufacturers warrant up to 5 years old from date of manufacturing.

Offroad tyres do tend to have a lot more natural rubber to synthetic in their content than a road tyre (80-20 to 50-50) and its the rubber that tends to age quicker....harder less flexible.

Edited by iconic558

At WTC they have; agreed, but at club level things have barely changed at all except in peoples minds.

I bought a bike that had a brand new set fitted, used them once and put on well used mitch front and IRC rear. Infinitely better, everything else on the bike was the same. (This was about 18 months ago)

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

There was a new pair on my beamish when I got it and I thought they were ok untill I dropped on a par of Michelin x11, the mt's would slide off the top of rocks but on the same sections (Bracken rock's) the x11 had much more grip, couldnt tell that much on grass/mud

• Like 1

I keep on reading that the Pirelli MT43 is not a proper trials tyre when in fact back in the late 80s it was considered to be one of the best trials tyres in use, Tommy Avahla used them on his Factory Aprilia Cllmber in the WTC at the time that his factory Aprilia was one of the most expensive works bikes in the paddock[ titanium engine parts and carbon fibre bits that were not the norm then] and if you see what they used to ride in the WTC in those days on those bikes then they are not that bad really.

Older riders will remember them.....and also the AVON mudplugger aother popular tyre at the time with club riders.

Indeed in the 1970's & 80's we swore by the MT43 on front or back and in the south west in the muddier trials I used an Avon Mudplugger on the rear. Not bad on Dartmoor rocks either

Edited by johnnyboxer

Just to chuck a spanner in the works wasn't Ahvala using MT73 Tubeless ? Both 43 and 73 were very hard tyres but they gripped better than I expected. I remember MT 43 being popular in the early 80s until the Michelin took over completely.

Edited by baldilocks

I am a Club level or C line rider, but I'm very experience. When I read that even if some parts are crap but they are OK for beginner I tend to bread fast and my blood pressure rise. Is the MT43 good or bad and why. That is the question, is it predictable, is it good in muddy terrain, is it good in rocky terrain compared to your alternative.   And I'm sorry but 40 years ago I was.... you know what I mean. 

Guy

Even if a tyre's nomenclature doesn't change over the years the tyre build does.

So a MT43 from the 80's wouldn't be the same as a 2016 MT43, it should be better or its market target changes....just sayin' ;)

Interesting that its also suitable for road use....I didn't even think to check when I bought some.

here is a pretty fair but rather enthusiastic review.

Edited by iconic558