Pirelli Mt43 Front Tyre ,any Good?

tugg

The old MT43 tire of the beginning to mid eighties is compared to the "new" MT43 different.

Pirelli changed the design of the MT43 radically which you can see already depending the knobbies which are different now, they did too change the rubber components.

The MT43 is OK for heavier bikes as its carcasses are stiffer too the rubber not as soft as the tires frim IRC, Michelin or new Dunlops.

I had also a new set of MT43 mounted to front and rear to a 175cc trials bike which I bought in April 2015. The tires did the job on dry and sand ground well but on slippery ground the tires hadn't the grip I expect from a trials tire.

So I switched to Michelin which worked much better depending trials riding.

The tire set of the Pirelli's I finally sold to my neighbor that needed them for his TLR200 doing some trails riding in the wood with partly longer road work.

Well I referred to the Pirelli tires of the beginning to mid eighties which where mounted to Bultacos, SWM's, Montesas and Fantics. Which where not the same as the tires of the end eighties where Pirelli changed knobby and carcasse design as I mentioned. What differences you are not agreeing?

Edited by pschrauber

Before Pirelli had the same rectangle knobby shape like all other brands had ans too some other changes as I mentioned. I should have the test report of that new tire in an issue of Trialsport Magazine of the mid 80's.

Hang on I have to look up later in this evening with around 450 issues it takes some time to find out.

• Like 2

Found it the new Pirelli tire was developed as to keep up with Michelin who started already two years earlier with their radial tire for all different kind of temperatures and finally sold them to the public as an W version for temp below 17 and a S version for temp. above 17 deg. Celsius.

First test where done in late 1982 and where performed through Manual Soler in the last two world GP rounds. Here Pirelli for the first time introduced the non rectangles knobby design.

The statement of Krahnstöver (11 times German trials champion): "... Manuel Soler rode the bike with the rubber through the sections but never on the podium"

The tire got on the market one year later but with no success. Either the old style Pirelli diagonal tire with the rectangle knobby design was mounted by the manufactures or the Michelin.

When I look through the old magazines there where many Michelin advertises some Metzler but no Pirelli at all.

Forgot to mention: Trialsport no. 80 from November 1982, page 29.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 2

Found it the new Pirelli tire was developed as to keep up with Michelin who started already two years earlier with their radial tire for all different kind of temperatures and finally sold them to the public as an W version for temp below 17 and a S version for temp. above 17 deg. Celsius.

First test where done in late 1982 and where performed through Manual Soler in the last two world GP rounds. Here Pirelli for the first time introduced the non rectangles knobby design.

The statement of Krahnstöver (11 times German trials champion): "... Manuel Soler rode the bike with the rubber through the sections but never on the podium"

The tire got on the market one year later but with no success. Either the old style Pirelli diagonal tire with the rectangle knobby design was mounted by the manufactures or the Michelin.

When I look through the old magazines there where many Michelin advertises some Metzler but no Pirelli at all.

Forgot to mention: Trialsport no. 80 from November 1982, page 29.

Well done that man....serious research. Interesting stuff....a winter and summer grades of trials tyres, but with hugely bigger markets worth doing I suppose?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=m0o1ii_30AkC

Input MT13 in the SEARCH box and you will go to a test of a MONTESA COTA 349 which refers to the excellent Pirelli MT13 tires/tyres fitted as standard and also refering to them as competitive tires/tyres.

Scroll down for an article headed "Trials Revisited".

MT13 Pirelli was certainly the hot ticket when I was a kid (late 1970s). My memory tells me that the other proper trials tyres at the time were either Avon or Dunlop

• Like 1

In regards to the Pirelli MT43, no doubt there are mixed comments about the history and different variations over the years. So, I recently acqired a 73 OSSA MAR. It still has the square block MT43 tires on it but they need replacing.

Seeing as this machine is kind of porky with a claimed weight about 50 pounds more than a modern bike, anyone have opinions on if these older machines should use the older style tires with a more rigid casing or go with the more modern lighter tires? At the moment, if the bike is used for any competition, it will be fun based, primary plan is fun riding with a friend who also has a 72 MAR.