Montesa Cota Oil Confusion

ajax

Hi I am building a 1976 Montesa Cota not a full resto just so it works good so I can ride and ride.

My question is the engine has 2 oil fill caps. What oil does it take and how do I check the oil level or drain the old oil.

Need to get this right so figured this is the best place to get the correct info.

Inner filler cap is for the gearbox, outer one for the clutch. There is a similar plastic drain plug under the engine for the gearbox, the clutch case is drained by removing the flat headed chrome screw on the outside of the casing.

I use the following:

Clutch: 200cc automatic transmission fluid

Gearbox: 300cc 75w gear oil

There is no level plug or sighting glass, just fill with quantities above.

This info is for the Cota 247, which I have presumed to be the bike you have.

Edited by cleanorbust

The drain plug under the gearbox uses to be a 19 mm screw. The original oils were a 10w30 for the clutch (Motul Transoil can be a choice) and a SAE 90 for the gearbox, but you'd better refill with an API GL-4, because API GL-5 will corrode the yellow metal parts in the gearbox.

Awesome thanks so much for the info. Almost done just a few pieces to sort out then ride and ride and hopefully a good run before any other repairs. I recon I will have to grin like Malcolm Smith " that was really neat Malcolm "