Beta Evo 2009 Frame And Swinger

jon0881

So i bought this 2009 Evo in the knowledge that i knew about the problems and that i would be able to get them sorted still. When i viewed it i saw the below and thought it could jsut be normal or dirt. Lampkins said they will only replace the frame if its leaking fuel, is this the common consensus?

I checked the swingarm and found that on the underside underside the cups there was some silicone sealing one of the welds. I didnt want to pick it off to look for cracks as i had a trial the next day. Is this norm or should i rip it out to look?

BCFCF1D2-247E-4396-B06E-CFC132C49AED_zps

Cheers

Jon

Edited by jon0881

The frame issues developed under the fuel tank, near the cylinder head mount. They did indeed start leaking fuel when problems arose. It's easy to tell if you have an early '09 frame or a replacement by the placement of the gas cap. If the gas cap is centered in the middle of the frame (when on the bike, looking down at it), it's an updated frame. The old, older ones that had cracking issues had the gap offset to one side (left side, if I remember correctly). Keep your eyes on the bottom of the swingarm, where the linkage attaches.

Hard to tell on my phone screen, but I've seen plenty of aluminum welds on motorcycle frames that look like they are cracked on the edge, but aren't.

• 5 months later...

Ive heard mixed feedback of people getting their 09 frames and swingers replaced. Some places want to see a fault and some are jsut replacing them as a preventative measure. Are there any places that someone is willing to share that is leaning towards the latter? Im almost certain my swinger is cracked and jsut want it all sorting in one go really.