Is Vertigo A Viable Long Term Prospect For The Clubman?

the dabster

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the consensus  is on long term ownership of a Vertigo now that quite a few have been running them for a while? 

Is it possible that they will run reliably over a sustained period without the need for complex equipment / knowledge to ensure they do?  I'm thinking about the average joe with no specific expertise in EFI that would use the bike regularly.

I've read on the Ossa forum of people feeling the need to recalibrate components like the TPS etc every so many hours on a laptop with a diagnostic cable and also that Montesa owners have access to similar hardware but there is nothing out there to the best of my knowledge for Vertigo owners.

Would those that have run a combat competitively this year be kind enough to share how they have found the reliability and collectively comment on what kind of problems they have encountered and how they have been overcome.

Many thanks.

Edited by the dabster

Nothing to alter on the 4rt

Just add fuel, change the oil and filters regularly and ride it

Still on the original standard TBody and bike is 10 years old, next year

After all - it's a Honda :)

Aye another gloating 4rt owner,we all know there a great bike.

Frankly though they've a serious image problem with most owmers looking like they should have a deerstalker,a cravat and a cigarette holder.

Can't answer the Vertigo question,I know my crappy Ossa never has any FI issues(maybe a few others)

Think all todays bikes  are kind off disposable apart from the Mont which will outlast most of there owners.  

• Like 1

Sorry this isn't actual experience... however on the Vertigo side everything I have ever read indicates that unless your riding at the top level playing with the maps isn't going to be needed for altitude changes or normal every day riding. 

Also, where a clubman level rider may want to, and I would expect it to be loads of fun to tweak maps to find your own personal sweet spot, most people would cause themselves more trouble than gains doing so.  My 2 cents...

I admit my EFI experience is with the 4RT and with BMW street bikes so sorry if it isn't Vertigo related but EFI works great and the one OSSA bike I got the chance to play with was the same as my 4RT in the EFI regard. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Aye another gloating 4rt owner,we all know there a great bike.

Frankly though they've a serious image problem with most owmers looking like they should have a deerstalker,a cravat and a cigarette holder.

Can't answer the Vertigo question,I know my crappy Ossa never has any FI issues(maybe a few others)

Think all todays bikes are kind off disposable apart from the Mont which will outlast most of there owners.

Very good

Apt

I'm sure Toni would look good in a deerstalker

Jealousy is an ugly trait

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

I can tell you the maps make a difference and I'm a beginner. I've been riding for over 40 years but new to trials(so maybe not a complete beginner). The bike always starts on map 1 and if I leave it there I crash. Just too responsive for me. I switch to 3 but lately liking map 2.  If I recall map 3 is for mud and 4 is high elevation. They all run clean at elevation. 

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply but notice all the Vertigo owners that have done so are all based in the USA.

For UK owners that will be running the same map settings as I will;  how have your bikes performed and has there been any problems and again, how were they overcome and what level of technical expertise do you have and what type of equipment are you using?

Appreciate your feedback, Thanks.

Before I buy any product that has the potential to break down I try check out reliability record. I also check out spare parts availability and prices. In the case of something with EFI I would also check out the availability and price of diagnostics information and kit. If not available or unreasonably expensive then I would not buy a product dependant on them.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree and that is my reason behind the questions. 

One thing that would satisfy me would be a fault reader / diagnostic cable that could interrogate the ECU or show a component fault within the system.  Outside that a layperson would struggle to identify problems an EFI system would be predisposed to that a conventionally fuelled bike would not.   I would be happy to purchase something like this and see both Ossa and Honda owners had and have far greater access to the necessary equipment while Vertigo don't as yet. 

Other than that the next best thing I can ask is, can it be reasonably anticipated via others experience that Vertigo bikes are fit (by virtue of design and quality) to run a full year without incurring predictable problems aligned to the systems we are discussing?   I buy a new bike every year anyway so if most peoples experience is no problems first year it makes my decision easier.

Thanks for your input.

Regards  

Had mine for 8 months now and have used it at least once a week, I don't expect any problems to arise for the rest of the year.

As far as the ECU go's personally I don't think much can go wrong with the sealed unit, its not really new technology these days.

I run mine mainly sea level from -1* to 20* with out issues, yes you can feel the difference in the maps and I'm starting to use map 4 more often which makes the electric fan run more frequently, switching to map 3 gives it more fuel to cool it down again.

In the past I've had to purchase 93 octant fuel which made it pink!! keep to the premium fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine for 6 months now.. Love the bike, came off a couple of other 300's before getting one.

The bike rides great, the different maps really make a difference to the way it puts the power down, now things are getting wetter map 2 and 3 are getting used more and more. Power delivery is very smooth in them all but there's still plenty there when you give it more throttle.

I made up a jump lead for the battery so if I need to I can just pop open the fuel cover and connect an alkaline one without having to take off the airbox cover and remove the battery, but to be honest I tend to just throw it on charge for a hour or so the night before I want to go out if I've not used the bike for a couple of weeks and it starts fine.

Only thing I've done on mine is change the plug once and regular oil changes, (and a couple of levers and tyres as you would on any bike) everything still feels tight and precise on it particularly the rear linkage which on a lot of bikes develop slop pretty quick.

I've let a few other people ride it, who are better than me, if they've asked when I've been out, and they've all been impressed with the bike.

Also I think it looks the bolloks too and if you're going to have toys they may as well be good looking :-) 

I'll be keeping this through next year, I don't feel the need to change which I have done on the last couple... unless I get a big bonus and I can afford the Ti version :-)

• Like 2