nigel dabster

Would the alloy head steady have been fitted from new & could you please post a close up of it, it sounds a very worthwhile upgrade to a std. bike.

The swing arm appears to differ from that on my 199a blue 350 (325cc) also the s/arm pivot point looked to be nearer the gearbox is that so.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we're on a modified Bulto thread, thought you might like to see these pictures of a late 250. This bike, now owned by a friend of mine, was once owned by Hedley Cockshott and he rode it in the Sebac rounds in the mid 90s. It was modified for him by Keith Horsman, along the lines of the last Vesty bike, although it is not an exact copy as Hedley wanted specific changes to his own taste, such as the rear top shock mounts moved inwards to slim the width of the bike around the knees. The steering head was moved back a little too although the angle was unaltered. Also has a reed valve I think. Sorry about the picture quality, they came out a bit blurred, something I thought was impossible on a self-focus digital camera.... blame the operator

post-71-1132606872.jpg

Don't see how you could move the steering head back without modifying the down tubr as both connect in normal useage?

I know what you mean. I didn't look too closely to see exactly how it was done though, but what I could see was the headstock was definitely moved backwards. I could see this from the positioning of the headstock against the two bracing plates that are welded either side onto the headstock/frame. The headstock sat further back into them, noticeable from the line of weld running top to bottom down its length. There was less of the headstock visible forward of this weld as it sat further back. I know the person that owned it before the current owner and he said it definitely steered quicker.

Was talking to Dave Renham at the show about modifying the steering on Bults as it happens and he said that the way they modified the steering was to cut a slot into the top of the top frame tube, under the forward end of the tank somewhere. Then, run the front wheel into a wall or whatever to push the wheel back until the desired angle was attained and then weld a piece into the V that has been opened in the frame. I asked about the downtube and apparently they just gave and bent accordingly. Woudn't want to take the engine out though - be like a coiled spring lettin go.... bet it was a bugger to get it back in as well. I know someone who modifies his cubs in this manner but it only requires the frame to be heated, not cut, as it is that soft it just bends when given the 'wall' treatment....

I rode an ex-Thorpe 340 (so I was told anyway) about 3 years ago and that had sharper steering and it rode very nicely. Still didn't turn as quick as my Ossa over the same sections, but much better than standard. Motor was beautiful too. No rear frame mods that I could see but a very nice bike which I tried to by on the spot but the owner was having none of it.

I have a 340 now which needs a rebuild and it has the rear frame modification with the dampers moved forward although it's not a Commerfords bike. I've only ridden it around the lawn but the back end certainly seems to have more feel as opposed to the 'dead' feel I usually get from Bults. I'll post some pictures sometime.