Ossa Tr280I Leaking Oil

dares

Hi!

Just enterd the world of trials via a almost unused 280 but i have a small oil leak from a torx bolt just behind the lever. Seems to hold the gearbox somehow. Can I losen this and add new loctite without getting in trouble??

Pics and model year would help... With lever you are referring to the shift lever I guess. There are roughly two torx bolts 'just behind the lever': oil drain bolt (torx 50) and the torx 25 bolt that closes a hole that was used for the crankcase breather.

Edited by tcrhino

Most likely that would be the oil drain bolt. There should be a copper washer used on the bolt to prevent leaking. That copper washer should be replaced regularly. 

Do not over-tighten the aluminium bolt in an attempt to stop the oil coming out!!

And: have a look at the documentation available on www.ossamotor.es!

Exactly, I finaly tried to loosen it and found our that it was the motor mount. Felt realt stupid. Will try ti see were it comes from again. The last owner just changed oil on it and it seems that he pored the oil on it like it was a sallad... so it seems comming oil from the strangest place. I had to make investigation if the Ossa had oil in the frame like a Buell??! as there was oil in the frame joints.... Thanks for the help so far!

When changing the oil, drain from both the main plug that has been mentioned above but also from the clutch case drain too. It is the lowest bolt holding the clutch casing on, just forward and below the rear brake pedal. Circled on attached photo. Draining from left hand side doesn't quite get all the oil out. Make sure bike is warm too, helps get as much out as possible. 

post-709-0-08307800-1480439215_thumb.png

Warm, left and right, check! Thanks!

Found that the oil came from the breather hose. It ends just above the chain and frame. What is the correct length? Just hangin at skidplate? And where to find this dimension of tube??? Windwiper tube?

I run mine to te handlebars- and still can get a bit of oil out of it after a long, high rpm hill (I trail ride mostly)

I'm going to install a small tank with house out top and bottom, then put inline.

I have a 2014 and run 450cc oil

Edited by lotus54