Whine On A 2013 300Cc Factory Replica

jsp

I dont think you can unless you destroy the waterpump...which I did as I knew it was done for and had a new one. The gear is a heat fit which is dropped on the shaft after the circlip is installed but if you heat the gear you may affect the seal.

My suggestion would be to put a gasket between and retry to see if the noise goes away before doing anything drastic. The lack of bits in your coolant would seem to indicate that the impeller is not worn away like mine was.

post-13066-0-74850300-1481808344_thumb.jpg

post-13066-0-99046600-1481808368_thumb.jpg

post-13066-0-89052200-1481808397_thumb.jpg

Edited by canada280i

I've spoken to Nigel Birket today and the noise is coming from a bush on the

kick start side which holds something to do with second gear in the gearbox 

it can be replaced but its not going to harm anything, he has said try a thicker oil 

which may help it. but all in all nothing to worry about 

Hi jsp,

The noise occurs on some of the gearboxes when the teflon lined bush wears through the teflon, that supports the kickstart gear stub shaft. The drive in 2nd gear is at the far end of the primary shaft, farthest away from the badly supported stub shaft. The wear allows the secondary shaft to have excess movement at this end, particularly when in 2nd gear as this has the greatest effect on the deflection of the secondary shaft. This creates the whining type sound, particularly when in 2nd gear, it is not the second gear set of pinions wearing. I have fixed these using an undersize ID Delrin bush which needs reaming to fit the stub shaft. Typically the hardened stub shaft wears too. You can access the kickstart stub shaft without having to press off the primary shaft end gear, just remove the secondary shaft circlips and slide out the shaft, then undo the circlip on the stub shaft and wrangle out from behind the clutch basket. You can get the Delrin lined bushes in the UK, I think the std teflon ones are type DU and the Delrin are type DX. Would much prefer to use needle rollers but not enough material there to fit one. ATF at 400ml is fine on these bikes.

Bye, Peter B.

Sorry Peter I wouldnt know where to start, even with your instructions, only option I have

is to take it to the local dealer and they send the gearbox up to Nigel Birket for him to 

press the bush in and out. I have the breather mod on my bike and run on 450ml 

of nano tech what oil is everyone using ? 

Edited by jsp

Sorry Peter I wouldnt know where to start, even with your instructions, only option I have

is to take it to the local dealer and they send the gearbox up to Nigel Birket for him to 

press the bush in and out. I have the breather mod on my bike and run on 450ml 

of nano tech what oil is everyone using ? 

Used Motul Dextron III for two years and switched to Putoline Nano three weeks ago. Clutch feel is different with a bit larger slip zone and shifting is the same (as in very good; like it was with Motul).

Don't know yet if I like the different clutch feel or not (after three weekends riding).