dadof2

One For The Americans

Yeah Dad was posted in Norfolk (with NATO) and we lived in Virginia Beach. It was an interesting time as it was the days of "bussing" which was a really tough racial social experiment and the draft dodgers had just been granted whatever it was that let them return to the States, so as soon as you told people you were from Canada they just figured your Dad was a draft dodger - not very popular in a Navy / Airforce town (typically led to getting a good beating). I did however get my first dirt bike and my first hand gun so it wasn't all bad.   

• Like 1

Yeah, none of this surprises me, it seems many Americans spend their lives being terrified of other people.  One was telling me the other day that going on an interstate on a 250cc motorbike was a death sentence because you would be intentionally rammed off the road for being too slow.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the major whose house was marched on was duly given the no-knock treatment by protesters, thus affirming how terribly scary they were.

That could be with the speed limit 75MPH and most people doing 80-90. No place for a small bike.

12 hours ago, turbofurball said:

..  One was telling me the other day that going on an interstate on a 250cc motorbike was a death sentence because you would be intentionally rammed off the road for being too slow...

I guess then if you had one of the big V twin tractors that barely get to 40mph before shaking the rider to bits you should probably stay away from fast roads too?

😁

Driving on highways / interstates here in some parts of the USA is even dangerous in a full size car or truck.  

As for other drivers intentionally running you off the road, courtesy often disappears when some people drive.

Then again, I have seen You Tube videos of driving crazy in other countries from European roads and highways to those crazed market areas in Asia.  My opinion is those other countries seem worse. 

13 minutes ago, pmk said:

...Then again, I have seen You Tube videos of driving crazy in other countries from European roads and highways to those crazed market areas in Asia.  My opinion is those other countries seem worse. 

To be fair they are posted up because they are crazy.  Probably not representative of the whole country.

I never had any issues in the US but I have not driven very much of it in all honesty.  I once drove through New York and it was fine, not as bad as London. 

On 9/1/2020 at 7:13 AM, ChrisCH said:

To be fair they are posted up because they are crazy.  Probably not representative of the whole country.

I never had any issues in the US but I have not driven very much of it in all honesty.  I once drove through New York and it was fine, not as bad as London. 

Kind of exactly, the USA is a big place, and yes it is possible someone on a smaller motorcycle was run off the road.  Without ll the details discussing it becomes more of a he said she said topic.

Sadly, there are motorcyclist that ride in such a manner that does instill rage for other motorists, and yes there are those driving cars that seem to just hate motorcyclists for no reason.  However reality would be that the majority is no issues between either.

Many people live in the USA.  With that, we have a greater number, maybe not greater percentage of whack job weirdos than some other places.

Just consider, if ever there was a perfect place to live, or perfect society to reside in, your vision of perfect could easily differ from your neighbor, planting the seed for imperfect.

As for this upcoming Presidential election, time will tell...I know what key points I prefer, and those that I less prefer.  Understanding no person, even the President of the USA nor the Pope is perfect, a person voting must make the choice based on how the candidate aligns with their ideas.

In simplest understanding, proven time and time again, politics is a nasty game, often filled with truths, facts, lies, misinformation and whatever else can be utilized to win the vote.  So many times, once elected, a person flip flops away from the ideas, ideals and statements used to get elected, merely to propagate a new agenda.

While mowing the yard yesterday, I had time to consider some craziness around this country.  I kept returning back to Lincolns words that “a house divided can not stand”.  

Edited by pmk
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, pmk said:

Kind of exactly, the USA is a big place, and yes it is possible someone on a smaller motorcycle was run off the road.  Without ll the details discussing it becomes more of a he said she said topic.

Sadly, there are motorcyclist that ride in such a manner that does instill rage for other motorists, and yes there are those driving cars that seem to just hate motorcyclists for no reason.  However reality would be that the majority is no issues between either.

Many people live in the USA.  With that, we have a greater number, maybe not greater percentage of whack job weirdos than some other places.

Just consider, if ever there was a perfect place to live, or perfect society to reside in, your vision of perfect could easily differ from your neighbor, planting the seed for imperfect.

As for this upcoming Presidential election, time will tell...I know what key points I prefer, and those that I less prefer.  Understanding no person, even the President of the USA nor the Pope is perfect, a person voting must make the choice based on how the candidate aligns with their ideas.

In simplest understanding, proven time and time again, politics is a nasty game, often filled with truths, facts, lies, misinformation and whatever else can be utilized to win the vote.  So many times, once elected, a person flip flops away from the ideas, ideals and statements used to get elected, merely to propagate a new agenda.

While mowing the yard yesterday, I had time to consider some craziness around this country.  I kept returning back to Lincolns words that “a house divided can not stand”.  

Hey there PMK,  I certainly agree with your sentiments on much of what this thread has produced. Let me attached my reply to a discussion earlier today on another group regarding America, Trump and the upcoming US election.

You need to ask yourself if your hate for the man is greater than supporting the best manager for your country. There are a lot of Democrats who now support President Trump, and are disgusted for what their old party has become. When you have a Party who continuously whitewash the violence and present "lawless thugs" as social justice activists fighting for equality, it will not stop.. It's okay if you don't agree because we are all entitled to our opinions but a famous quote still holds true in these troubled times“a house divided cannot stand.”
Just consider this...when you think the President is a jerk; he is. He’s a New Yorker. He’s crude and can be rude. He gets his feelings hurt, and he’s a hothead. He hits back; harder. The media hates it when he tweets. Why? Because he gets the information out, that they don’t want to report. Ignoring him or dismissing him because you always have is no reason to ignore what his administration is achieving.
Ex Democrat and now Republican Rep. Jeff Van Drew, who switched parties when the House voted to impeach President Trump last year, spoke on the final night of the Republican National Convention about how his former party has changed during his time in Congress and clearly outlined his reasons. Maybe you should be looking at what he found.

To suggest as you have that the 4 years of the Trump leadership is as dire as you portray is shot to pieces when you look at what has been achieved with such a hostile anti-American anti-Trump opposition. Everything Trump campaign on in 2016 he has delivered. He’s the guy that campaigned on securing the border - protecting America - in the face of screaming Democrats and the liberal media. (Both Clinton, and Obama talked about a crisis at the border, and Obama did some things to address the crisis, but they proved insufficient.) When Trump shut down borders in the midst of the coronavirus, they screamed louder. Then, the rest of the world followed suit, including the European Union, with travel between their member countries. His policy is always 'America First.' For many years we have complained about sending billions abroad, while Americans suffer here. He's minimized that outflow of money and is using it here in America. He has delivered jobs, rebuilt the military, revived the economy implemented lowering taxes, encouraged more business by removing red tape and overbearing regulations. Invigorated American energy and won the hearts of many with his stance and support of Right For Life and Religious Liberty. Right now the tide of support he is gaining for what is blindingly clear, his his hard-line stance on Law and Order. This has resonated with the quiet Americans and in November you will see just how wrong you are about this man and his vision for a better country for all Americans IMO.
Edited by steveo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, pmk said:

I think the problem is there is an industry of misinformation and lies that aims to persuade people of something that benefits the liars but not the gullible person that believes it.  This propaganda is well understood and modelled on the work of Goebbels.  You can see Trump being part of that industry as he lies repeatedly, but still people fall for it.  It is not a US thing, our PM Johnson plays the same game, as does Morrison in Australia and Modi in India and Putin in Russia and Bolsonaro in Brazil, to mention just a few.

Some of it is so infantile and stupid it is funny, but still people fall for it.  At the heart of it is fear.  Fear of immigrants, fear of law breakers, fear of loss of living standards and so on.  Ironically the thing to fear is generally the liars.  Trump (and all the others mentioned) do nothing about climate change but it is the most dangerous thing we face as a species.  The move to a green economy would create thousands of new jobs, new business opportunities and prosperity for millions of people.  Stick with fossil fuel and it will kill us all in due course, all bar a few rich people.

From this side of the pond the US looks close to a race war.  I guess looking the other way one might see the UK making the most stupid decision ever in its history to leave the EU.  Both these things are based on fear, ungrounded and irrational fear.   Neither of our countries are exactly setting a good example.

I hope we will see positive change that benefits the people, not more of the same that benefits the super rich.

19 minutes ago, steveo said:
 Hey there PMK,  I certainly agree with your sentiments on much of what this thread has produced. Let me attached my reply to a discussion earlier today on another group regarding America, Trump and the upcoming US election.

You need to ask yourself if your hate for the man is greater than supporting the best manager for your country. There are a lot of Democrats who now support President Trump, and are disgusted for what their old party has become. When you have a Party who continuously whitewash the violence and present "lawless thugs" as social justice activists fighting for equality, it will not stop.. It's okay if you don't agree because we are all entitled to our opinions but a famous quote still holds true in these troubled times“a house divided cannot stand.”
Just consider this...when you think the President is a jerk; he is. He’s a New Yorker. He’s crude and can be rude. He gets his feelings hurt, and he’s a hothead. He hits back; harder. The media hates it when he tweets. Why? Because he gets the information out, that they don’t want to report. Ignoring him or dismissing him because you always have is no reason to ignore what his administration is achieving.
Ex Democrat and now Republican Rep. Jeff Van Drew, who switched parties when the House voted to impeach President Trump last year, spoke on the final night of the Republican National Convention about how his former party has changed during his time in Congress and clearly outlined his reasons. Maybe you should be looking at what he found.

To suggest as you have that the 4 years of the Trump leadership is as dire as you portray is shot to pieces when you look at what has been achieved with such a hostile anti-American anti-Trump opposition. Everything Trump campaign on in 2016 he has delivered. He’s the guy that campaigned on securing the border - protecting America - in the face of screaming Democrats and the liberal media. (Both Clinton, and Obama talked about a crisis at the border, and Obama did some things to address the crisis, but they proved insufficient.) When Trump shut down borders in the midst of the coronavirus, they screamed louder. Then, the rest of the world followed suit, including the European Union, with travel between their member countries. His policy is always 'America First.' For many years we have complained about sending billions abroad, while Americans suffer here. He's minimized that outflow of money and is using it here in America. He has delivered jobs, rebuilt the military, revived the economy implemented lowering taxes, encouraged more business by removing red tape and overbearing regulations. Invigorated American energy and won the hearts of many with his stance and support of Right For Life and Religious Liberty. Right now the tide of support he is gaining for what is blindingly clear, his his hard-line stance on Law and Order. This has resonated with the quiet Americans and in November you will see just how wrong you are about this man and his vision for a better country for all Americans IMO.

In case it was missed a few posts back...

E990036D-2B0A-4892-93E9-E5E3BA767607.jpeg

19 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

I think the problem is there is an industry of misinformation and lies that aims to persuade people of something that benefits the liars but not the gullible person that believes it.  This propaganda is well understood and modelled on the work of Goebbels.  You can see Trump being part of that industry as he lies repeatedly, but still people fall for it.  It is not a US thing, our PM Johnson plays the same game, as does Morrison in Australia and Modi in India and Putin in Russia and Bolsonaro in Brazil, to mention just a few.

Some of it is so infantile and stupid it is funny, but still people fall for it.  At the heart of it is fear.  Fear of immigrants, fear of law breakers, fear of loss of living standards and so on.  Ironically the thing to fear is generally the liars.  Trump (and all the others mentioned) do nothing about climate change but it is the most dangerous thing we face as a species.  The move to a green economy would create thousands of new jobs, new business opportunities and prosperity for millions of people.  Stick with fossil fuel and it will kill us all in due course, all bar a few rich people.

From this side of the pond the US looks close to a race war.  I guess looking the other way one might see the UK making the most stupid decision ever in its history to leave the EU.  Both these things are based on fear, ungrounded and irrational fear.   Neither of our countries are exactly setting a good example.

I hope we will see positive change that benefits the people, not more of the same that benefits the super rich.

My opinion, and kind of experiences, based on both living here and enjoying hobbies such as mtb riding, moto riding, camping and more, is that a vast majority of those living here want exactly what you presented.  A more green way of living.  Under Obama, areas huge and vast natural places were closed to many activities, including even having people enter them which is a bit extreme.  Add to this, local areas often try to adopt national movements, and swung in an effort to keep activities out.  In some cases, the person in charge or he was advised this would be so much better.  Actually, it was too extreme and created the obvious debates, lawsuits and more.

I agree that there are many ways the USA could clean up its act.  Then again, and I do not know what ranking for pollution per person based on industrialized countries the USA ranks, but I suspect it is not the worst.

Consider this, and in time it could happen, when the better methods of getting greener as accurate and can be implemented, it will happen.  Our demise is not so bleak that all industry must stop, as facts present themselves, this will be the true guide.

Currently, regarding green choices, we have debate as to whether long term electric cars are truly as environmentally friendly as they say.  I have recently seen that there is now concern for retired solar panels.  Obviously nuclear is not without various concerns.  Yes wind energy does get high marks but has some limitations.

Again, my opinion is that the current times and recent past history is somewhat of a transition moment.  Many people know it needs to get better.  Many very smart people are working on getting results.  It will happen, and happen long before we perish from an non green world.  Realize though, as progress in technology made life change, people do not want to surrender that.

If you asked a person, in any modern city, anywhere in the world, to surrender their car and be required to ride a horse, plus feed and tend to the horse seems unlikely many would go along with it.  If you asked others within a modern city to carry a bucket and pump water from a well...if everyone had to find trees, cut them and make firewood to survive winter and so on.

Green will happen soon, just not sure how to define soon.

I am hearing from good sources that if Joe Biden is elected, his first new law is mandatory scheduled nap times for Democratic politicians, twice per daily workshift, 30 minutes per nap, plus retain the scheduled lunch break and scheduled coffee breaks.

Nancy Pelosi is all for this as she was overheard comments about needing Beauty Rest to retain her gorgeous facial features and stunning feminine body shape.

45 minutes ago, pmk said:

..Currently, regarding green choices, we have debate as to whether long term electric cars are truly as environmentally friendly as they say. ..

I think it is important to understand that electric cars are not "green".  The push for electric is due to air pollution not CO2.  In my opinion the whole electric car thing is wrong headed, but I have little doubt it is being driven by the auto industry who want to see falling car sales reversed.  Modern cars last too long and are too good so replacement rates are based on vanity more than need.

Electric cars have two major faults and many more minor ones.  Principally they take more CO2 to manufacture and so replacing the world's car fleet will increase CO2 when we need to reduce it.  Secondarily the PM emissions associated with diesel are easily reduced in diesel engines and come mostly from old or modified vehicles.  A huge amount of PM pollution is caused by brakes and tyres and road dust from asphalt, none of which are reduced by electric.

Fossil CO2 can be reduced or eliminated from existing ICE cars, bikes and trucks with biofuels.  There are some issues (ethanol and plastic tanks for example) but they are not insurmountable.  Huge reductions can be made with a simple shift to smaller engines in countries like the US where big engines are fashionable for no good reason.  (Men with "equipment" issues I guess...)

This topic annoys me because it seems a lot of people are put off "green" issues by electric cars.  So we need to make the point electric cars are not green much more often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

😜  Sorry, but sometimes its hard to resist stirring the pot lol !

5E0FCFB3-AE33-4A16-9673-F00A8FC06D2A.jpeg

Edited by scot taco

8 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

I think it is important to understand that electric cars are not "green".  The push for electric is due to air pollution not CO2.  In my opinion the whole electric car thing is wrong headed, but I have little doubt it is being driven by the auto industry who want to see falling car sales reversed.  Modern cars last too long and are too good so replacement rates are based on vanity more than need.

Electric cars have two major faults and many more minor ones.  Principally they take more CO2 to manufacture and so replacing the world's car fleet will increase CO2 when we need to reduce it.  Secondarily the PM emissions associated with diesel are easily reduced in diesel engines and come mostly from old or modified vehicles.  A huge amount of PM pollution is caused by brakes and tyres and road dust from asphalt, none of which are reduced by electric.

Fossil CO2 can be reduced or eliminated from existing ICE cars, bikes and trucks with biofuels.  There are some issues (ethanol and plastic tanks for example) but they are not insurmountable.  Huge reductions can be made with a simple shift to smaller engines in countries like the US where big engines are fashionable for no good reason.  (Men with "equipment" issues I guess...)

This topic annoys me because it seems a lot of people are put off "green" issues by electric cars.  So we need to make the point electric cars are not green much more often.

So, if I understand correctly, and correct me if wrong, in your post you mention diesels and seem to be leaning towards that as the way to a greener environment?

Understand the remarks towards big engines.

Any chance you have reliable source data to graph US auto emissions or total emissions including industry for say the last 60 years.  It would be interesting to see unbiased data.  I am curious if the graph flattens with more modern cars and what should be an expected useful life.

I do not have the answer yet, but expect the true green generation vehicles to be a newer technology or much improved refinement on existing technology.  

The focus on tires and road dust is valid, but what is proposed as green to eliminate those concerns?

As for the D and R.  For decades I was a lifelong D, but no longer.  Actually, it is about who I decide is best in my own choice.  None of that party affiliation BS.  I will say though, there does need to be reasonable term limits, improved accountability and ethics, plus no more life long salaries for politicians after they leave office.

• Like 3