dadof2

One For The Americans

12 hours ago, guys said:

Wasn't that TV program about Brazil? Brazil is known for its sugarcane-based ethanol fuel program and VW Beetle production also.

Yeah - I think you have nailed it - my memory is incorrect and it is Brazil and I have misremembered Mexico.

Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Yeah - I think you have nailed it - my memory is incorrect and it is Brazil and I have misremembered Mexico.

Thank you.

You were close...Spanish speaking Mexico, Portuguese speaking Brazil.  Central America, South America.  Yep, pretty close.

Misery getting old and forgetful.  Simply watch a Joe Biden interview, besides old and forgetful, incoherent can top all of his words.

Edited by pmk

9 hours ago, pmk said:

You were close...Spanish speaking Mexico, Portuguese speaking Brazil.  Central America, South America.  Yep, pretty close.

Misery getting old and forgetful.  Simply watch a Joe Biden interview, besides old and forgetful, incoherent can top all of his words.

just the same as many Americans wouldnt know Andorra from San marino or Monaco anything south of trumps wall is a blur to most.....is that finished yet?

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

just the same as many Americans wouldnt know Andorra from San marino or Monaco anything south of trumps wall is a blur to most.....is that finished yet?

Wall is getting well along.  

You are correct about many Americans having poor geography knowledge.  Was talking with a friend yesterday that is a retired High School teacher.  He mentioned that when asked where the Middle East (was the time of Dessert Storm), only one student answered and pointed to the middle of the USA East Coast.

The USA has a lot of good ole dumb people, stupid ones too.  Simply watch a video that starts out, “hold my beer and watch this”...by the way, contrary to the myth, most of those folks are not some dumb redneck.

5 hours ago, pmk said:

...You are correct about many Americans having poor geography knowledge.  ...

Many confuse the continent of America with the the country of the USA.

(Sorry)

😁

5 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Many confuse the continent of America with the the country of the USA.

(Sorry)

😁

If I am reading your words correctly, I surly hope you are not indicating I do not know the difference between North America and the USA.  With North America having Canada and Mexico, we have Canadian people and Mexican people.  So I guess the easiest term for US citizens is Americans, because United Statesans may not have worked.

Yes, geography can be confusing.  The UK can be mistaken to be entirely Irish or British.  Europe can be mistaken as French, and Africa and so forth.  About the only safe bets are Antartica and Austrailia.

FIM Continental Unions (CONU) add to the confusion. The North American CONU is United States and Canada, but Mexico is in the Latin American CONU. From a language perspective this makes sense, but not from a geographical one.

1 hour ago, pmk said:

If I am reading your words correctly, I surly hope you are not indicating I do not know the difference between North America and the USA.  ...

I'm sure you do, but your president is not such a safe bet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

I'm sure you do, but your president is not such a safe bet.

Some say the wall isnt to keep immigrants out (it doesnt) but to help trump identify where his country stops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Some say the wall isnt to keep immigrants out (it doesnt) but to help trump identify where his country stops.

Surrounded entirely by water, seems the UK is well defined.  Is it true many UK citizens feared the UK would sink when they dug the Chunnel?  Same as a hole in a boat concept.

1 hour ago, pmk said:

Surrounded entirely by water, seems the UK is well defined.  Is it true many UK citizens feared the UK would sink when they dug the Chunnel?  Same as a hole in a boat concept.

There is a land border for the UK, and it's quite contentious again......

• Like 1

Bringing this topic back on the rails.  With so much anti Trump, for various reasons, maybe I missed it in so many pages of posts over so many months, but if the USA is so screwed up, and it appears many of those making posts find their own countries and their own politics screwed up,

Then where specifically is it the best to have minimal government involvement in your life and no or super low taxes, plus be affordable to live and of course, no political drama?  Good health care and employment must factor in also.

21 hours ago, pmk said:

Bringing this topic back on the rails.  With so much anti Trump, for various reasons, maybe I missed it in so many pages of posts over so many months, but if the USA is so screwed up, and it appears many of those making posts find their own countries and their own politics screwed up,

Then where specifically is it the best to have minimal government involvement in your life and no or super low taxes, plus be affordable to live and of course, no political drama?  Good health care and employment must factor in also.

There is a global shift to a mostly right wing viewpoint that is rooted in climate change denial.  It is not about the level of taxation and welfare benefits, those policies are legitimate political opinions and have traditionally had parties espousing one view or another with a proper democratic choice for voters to take.  These should be no animosity or violence regarding a genuine political decision about taxation policies or about the level of legitimate regulation in society.

Trump is part of a worldwide group of people in positions of very high power and influence that are exacerbating the problem rather than seeking remedial action.  Mr Trump might "dig" coal but the planet does not.  You must include such people as Steve Bannon and Rupert Murdoch in as well as the financial backers, Koch, Barclay and the like.  There are lobby groups spreading lies and disinformation to people to undermine any attempt to rein in the use of fossil fuel.

It is not about Mr Trump per se, it is about the battle between the need to keep the life support system for our species and the short term profits that can be generated by overlooking the destruction.  Wildfires rage in Australia, in the US and in the Artic.  The evidence is so overwhelming that denial is now more an indication of mental illness than a rational debate.

Our UK government is part of this destructive group.  Despite our Prime Minister being a liar and a con artist he still enjoys support from a large minority who suspend their intelligence enough to buy into the lie.  Having taken an irrational decision to do something stupid beyond belief it is hard to admit it was a mistake.

So much could be done so easily without the need for all of us to live like third world paupers but even the slightest inconvenience is just too much for the "culture warriors".  Witness the protests about the perfectly sensible precaution of wearing a mask in a public place.  That idiotic protest is not confined to the US or to the MAGA hat wearing simpletons, it is global.  This minor imposition to prevent people dying in the most horrible way is "against people's rights" we are told.  Presumably the right to kill your grandmother.

This is not a path we can follow without serious civil unrest and violence.  It is stoked and encouraged by the protagonists, of whom Mr Trump is just one.  If he just proposed low tax and an absence of welfare I doubt anyone much outside the US would pay him much attention.  If he did not subvert democracy (as is happening here too) he would, I am sure be regarded much better than he is.  If my government were not liars breaking international law and their own agreements I guess no one much outside Europe would care.  If Bolsonaro stopped cutting down the rainforest I guess no one much outside Latin America would take much notice.  But all these tin pot rulers added together threaten us all.  Everywhere.

• Like 1

Most people have a one sided view of the world because algorithms feed them this view to keep them watching to make money from them. They think everyone expressing different views is either stupid or evil because how else could they have that view when presented with the same facts, few people realise that they are presented with very different information to their opponents.

This results in insults and aggression which further stifles debate. Take the post above for example so much really sound content but with a few insults mixed in so anyone disagreeing won't engage sensibly.

• Like 2

I do agree totty about outside and probably inside interest bombing social media to back how you think and help divide us.The thing is, Trump is part of that problem with his out and out constant lying, divisive remarks and peddling of bull**** conspiracy theories. He started with the birther theory about president Obama and has continued with backing such crackpots as Alex Jones. The man has told 20,000 documented lies and IMO you cannot lead a nation to a good place doing that.You cannot lead a democracy by telling your supporters that this or that group of people is the cause of their problems because they are bad people.