Jump to content

dadof2

One For The Americans

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

 I blame him for our Independence from imported oil. It`s been 50 years since we exported oil as we now have a surplus.

You're probably partly right to blame him for that.

Mostly I suspect it's due to Covid dramatically reducing the global use of oil.

Trump's contribution seems to have been his determination to ensure the USA is one of the hardest hit countries on the planet, thereby reducing U.S. consumption even further.

But how good would it be if he'd spent a even a moment actually trying to reduce dependence on fossil fuels in the first place?

I used to be embarrassed when we had Tony Abbott as our prime minister, Trump almost makes me proud of Tony. Sad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

10 hours ago, bikerpet said:

....I used to be embarrassed when we had Tony Abbott as our prime minister, Trump almost makes me proud of Tony. Sad.

LOL.  Now we have Mr Abbott as a trade negotiator.  It's not like there is a shortage of climate change denier halfwits in the UK to start with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

LOL.  Now we have Mr Abbott as a trade negotiator.  It's not like there is a shortage of climate change denier halfwits in the UK to start with.

Yes, it's so depressing, makes me want to take a drug overdose.

Sorry lineaway, only joking, well partly anyway. Only about the drugs, not the depression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I've only been to America twice, both times to Florida. I was looking forward to going back when I retired to see Grand Canyon amongst other things. But I've grown tired of the  Americans i see, I just don't understand you.

Guns ? Its obvious to everyone else on the planet that the US policy on individuals owning guns is ludicrous,  how many massacres is it going to take ? Its like you are all stuck in a Clint Eastwood or John Wayne film.

Who'd want to be a policeman in America ? They get it wrong and behave like judge Dredd but every person they approach could be armed ?

Religion,  there seem to be as many religious nut jobs in the US as there are in the middle East. I saw a woman demanding the hair dressers re open , she didn't care about coronavirus as she's looked after by a higher power!!!! What you mean the all powerful being that created the virus ?

The US political system, impossible to get to president without spending billions and despite all that money and effort your choices are Biden and Trump, really Corbyn and Boris were an awful advert for the UK but you guys knocked us out of the park!! How can two men in their 70s be suitable for that job.

The American dream is dead looking from over here, its not a successful outcome .

Florida is a prime example of back east. I lived there a year while in the Navy. Going to the Grand Canyon is just experiencing another tourist trap with other tourist. Go explore the mountains of Colorado or Northern California. Out west we live a simpler life style. Not near so many people to deal with.

We hunt. Our families have always hunted. My freezer is full of Elk and Antelope. Guns have always been a way of life. The problems with guns are the idiots in the city. Our laws are such that the criminals are on a catch and release system. The poor  people of color need a second chance and a third and finally about after a dozen times they get killed. That is why I am starting to believe Islam is right. After the second chance they would have no hands. That would fix our gun problems.

Oh you are so right about not being a cop. Next week is the 49th anniversary of a local state police officer gunned down by three black men who were actually terrorists. They then hijacked an airliner and flew to Cuba. Charles Hill is the lone survivor and has never had to pay for this crime. And all these years the authorities have known where he lives.

Religion and Coronavirus have nothing in common. It certainly has spiked here the last few weeks. But it is not as deadly as they make us believe. We won`t know for sure till the mortality numbers are available for 2020. From a percentage view the numbers won`t even make a dent in our usual death rate. More like it`s being reported as `THE SKY IS FALLING`. Its not.

Yeah, the political system has some issues. Usually the President is just a puppet  of their party. Trump just p****s people off as his personality just sucks and he was never a politician. Raised a spoiled  brat. I think it is the most humorous  thing that has happened in our politics. Too bad we cannot get a good Independent person with half a brain to run as a third party.

 The American dream lives on in my family. My son just turned 23 and is buying his first house tomorrow. Has a job that he will retire from by the time he is 50. He has real health insurance and will make a living wage through his career. Oh and Friday he is proposing to his long time girl friend who is going to be a school teacher. She hunts too!

 Now if I could get him back on his bike more often and ride more trials my life would be perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Lineaway, seems that if you and I plus others resided in another country, possibly we could have a different point of view regarding Trump and the accomplishments and failures he has during his first term.

We have lived in the USA a long time.  Have experienced the effects of other Presidents, sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

I base my vote on my opinion of what is best for the USA people, not the rest of the world.  If my opinion was one that Trump was truly destroying our country, it would be difficult to support him.

Where I live, the people are doing better than under previous Presidents. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Florida is a prime example of back east. I lived there a year while in the Navy. Going to the Grand Canyon is just experiencing another tourist trap with other tourist. Go explore the mountains of Colorado or Northern California. Out west we live a simpler life style. Not near so many people to deal with.

We hunt. Our families have always hunted. My freezer is full of Elk and Antelope. Guns have always been a way of life. The problems with guns are the idiots in the city. Our laws are such that the criminals are on a catch and release system. The poor  people of color need a second chance and a third and finally about after a dozen times they get killed. That is why I am starting to believe Islam is right. After the second chance they would have no hands. That would fix our gun problems.

Oh you are so right about not being a cop. Next week is the 49th anniversary of a local state police officer gunned down by three black men who were actually terrorists. They then hijacked an airliner and flew to Cuba. Charles Hill is the lone survivor and has never had to pay for this crime. And all these years the authorities have known where he lives.

Religion and Coronavirus have nothing in common. It certainly has spiked here the last few weeks. But it is not as deadly as they make us believe. We won`t know for sure till the mortality numbers are available for 2020. From a percentage view the numbers won`t even make a dent in our usual death rate. More like it`s being reported as `THE SKY IS FALLING`. Its not.

Yeah, the political system has some issues. Usually the President is just a puppet  of their party. Trump just p****s people off as his personality just sucks and he was never a politician. Raised a spoiled  brat. I think it is the most humorous  thing that has happened in our politics. Too bad we cannot get a good Independent person with half a brain to run as a third party.

 The American dream lives on in my family. My son just turned 23 and is buying his first house tomorrow. Has a job that he will retire from by the time he is 50. He has real health insurance and will make a living wage through his career. Oh and Friday he is proposing to his long time girl friend who is going to be a school teacher. She hunts too!

 Now if I could get him back on his bike more often and ride more trials my life would be perfect!

Yes, I agree with this.  I live in Florida.  While not my favorite thing in life, our daughters husband is a law enforcement officer.  He is nothing like what the media displays.  In our house we do not hunt.  But friends do and I am fine with that.

Yes, violent criminals need to be dealt with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
33 minutes ago, pmk said:

..I base my vote on my opinion of what is best for the USA people, not the rest of the world.  If my opinion was one that Trump was truly destroying our country, it would be difficult to support him.

Your criteria is correct, you should vote in the  US to benefit the US.  However if you live outside the US most people take the view Mr Trump is making your country weak and without influence.  This might not be "destruction" but it is a common view, certainly here in the UK, even from people with fairly right wing views.

Trump is an idiot and a crook.  He once boasted he could shoot people and still be elected, so he has a very low opinion of the intelligence of the people that vote for him.  Based solely on watching his rallies on TV I must say I share that opinion.

The USA was, once, a great and wonderful nation that believed in freedom, democracy and the rule of law.  These are fantastic ideals and the rest of the world looked up at the US as an example of these things.  Sadly the erosion of such great ideals has been fairly steady since the Vietnam war.  It is not just Trump; Nixon and both Bush presidents have overseen military conflict and or corruption that is global in its reach.  The domestic policies of the US are the business of the US citizenry, not the rest of the world.  The US role in the world is however, everyone's business.  The current, last in a long line of presidents that have failed to return to the admired US core values is perhaps the worst example thus far.  His pronouncement that he will not respect the vote if he doesn't win combined with support for far right domestic terrorists makes people outside the US worry for our friends, family and colleagues that live there.

I am well aware that the media pushed on the US public is very different to the media we see here and elsewhere in the world.  In the UK the Murdoch vision of the world is also pushed hard to persuade people to believe a huge pack of lies that do not benefit us.  The world is now driven by hate filled people who elect antagonists and drive even more hate.  President Trump is but one such person.  Prime Minister Johnson plays the same trick here.  So does Bolsonaro, Modi, Erdoğan, Putin and all the others.  I for one would truly love to see the USA "great" again, to lead the world in freedom, democracy and the rule of law.  I fear it will be a very long wait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Regarding the world today, the good, the bad, the truths and the lies, sadly there is so much disinformation out there, making an honest decision becomes more difficult.

Add to this, that globally, often as a person living in the USA, I see the perspective that those outside the USA are given is skewed also.

The United States is a large place.  There is much diversity and differing opinions.  Often, those differences are exploited to mind numbing levels, and honestly, the truth can become blurred or lost.

Myself, I would enjoy reading an honest list of the positives DT has accomplished as President of the USA, with a second honest list of his demerits as President of the USA.  Doubtful it will happen, so I base choices on what seems believable and practical.

I hold the same request for Biden, Harris, and other politicians.

How does the old saying go, “ believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 10/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, lineaway said:

 I was not going to answer as there has been thousands of hate filled news articles. This was today`s EXAMPLE as the author was blaming Trump for his friend`s suicide. Everybody blames him for everything. I blame him for our Independence from imported oil. It`s been 50 years since we exported oil as we now have a surplus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/time-dump-presidential-dilettante-hes-120001592.html

I cant open that link without agreeing to yahoo acessing everything so wouldnt anyway, and anyone can post a link on any biased view from social media.

I asked for on just one example to illustrate your point about news (any news will do) generating hatred but you cant give me one simple example from the "thousands". why is that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 10/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, lineaway said:

 The problems with guns are the idiots in the city. Our laws are such that the criminals are on a catch and release system. The poor  people of color need a second chance and a third and finally about after a dozen times they get killed. That is why I am starting to believe Islam is right. After the second chance they would have no hands. That would fix our gun problems.

O

 

That is the most racist thing I have ever read here on trials central, you should be ashamed of yourself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

That is the most racist thing I have ever read here on trials central, you should be ashamed of yourself.

And where to start on a rebuttal?

Gun laws supporting the barely controlled sale of fully automatic weapons, some of the highest incarceration levels in the world, outrageous levels of wealth inequality, virtually non-existent social safety nets, an education system that is among the worst performing in the developed world, an electoral system that can willfully ignore the popular vote ... I could go on.

And the solution is more violence and incarceration? Violence seems to be a central part of the American psyche so I'm not really surprised. 

To think it's possible that a narcissistic despot like Trump could be returned to power just staggers me!   :wall:    😭

Having said all that, I've met some really fabulous individual Americans, although a couple were actually ex-Americans.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

That is the most racist thing I have ever read here on trials central, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Not really, the truth always hurts. Chicago is our worst problem gun wise. And owning firearms are illegal. And shooting in any city is illegal. 95% of the shooting in Chicago is Black on Black.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/09/01/chicago-tops

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/10/30/21541560/chicago-shootings-gun-violence-homicide-thursday-october-29-2020

Edited by lineaway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Chopping people's hands off is the most despicable thing I've read here so far.

If there's one person spreading hate and division it's Trump. The snowflake couldn't even handle the simple questions from the '60 Minutes' interview on CBS.

From day one Trump declared all media, except Fox and Breitbart, the enemy of the state,. How's that for spreading hate. Even independent journalists get death threats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

I cant open that link without agreeing to yahoo acessing everything so wouldnt anyway, and anyone can post a link on any biased view from social media.

I asked for on just one example to illustrate your point about news (any news will do) generating hatred but you cant give me one simple example from the "thousands". why is that?

 Yahoo is number 12 in the world for websites. The Uk has none in the top 50. Would you like me to send you something safer from Somalia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, lineaway said:

 Yahoo is number 12 in the world for websites. The Uk has none in the top 50. Would you like me to send you something safer from Somalia.

https://otechworld.com/most-popular-news-websites/
 

Apparently when it comes to news the UK has #4, 6, and 7 of the top 15.  For such a small country that appears to be punching above it's weight, even if #7 is the Daily Fail.

Does Elk taste nice?  The hunters here are all about the wild boars, but nobody seems to eat the meat so it it seems that the point is to inflict pain on wild animals ... I can't say I see the appeal, much like the idea of chopping people's hands off instead of giving them the opportunity to escape a life of violence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...