Helmet Weight

trapezeartist

Is the weight of a helmet significant in trials? A lot of helmet descriptions on the supplier websites seem to make a big thing of it, but I can't see it being the most crucial factor. Fair enough if you race a car and the g-force is trying to rip your head off, but not on a bike going at a walking pace, surely.

As an example the Hebo Zone 4 weights 900g, and plenty of others weigh about 950g. But the Hebo 5 with built-in visor weighs 1200g. Trouble is, I quite like the idea of a built-in visor for protecting my eyes between sections.

I think, from personal experience, that within the range available the weight of trials helmets is of moot importance in that you put a helmet on, get accustomed to it and get on with the job of riding the bike without thinking about it. It is, however, one of those marketing points which can skilfully be used to prise money from your wallet. Money which could otherwise be used on essentials like tyres with a decent edge or gloves with colour accents to match your bike, depending on your priorities.

• Like 1

The jitsie ht2 is a great helmet, it's plastic and for the money (60) it's well made. If you are riding at a high level you will need a lightweight helmet due to the forces of extreme landings and drop offs that give a whiplash effect. 

For the average rider the cheaper Jitsie lids are great and look as cool as a £200 lid

Weight is important: you spend most of your time looking down and ahead, and if strains the neck. But only compared to a non - trials helmet. As long as you buy a decent quality trials helmet the weight should be around what you want. But it is your head after all, so why not buy the best (which will also be the lightest)

• Like 3

Weight is important: you spend most of your time looking down and ahead, and if strains the neck. But only compared to a non - trials helmet. As long as you buy a decent quality trials helmet the weight should be around what you want. But it is your head after all, so why not buy the best (which will also be the lightest)

If you notice the weight of your helmet, your not riding enough .......

• Like 1

How do you presume to know how much I or anyone else rides? Go ride with a motorcross helmet on, trust me, you'll notice the weight. Or maybe you're getting on in age (heaven forbid) and you have neck and back problems. Then you'll definitely notice.

I rode 200 hours this season. Real hours, on an hour meter, not bull**** estimated hours. My neck is always killing me at the end of an event. But according to you I'm not riding enough, and since you said it on the internet it must be true...

Have you tried deliberately relaxing the muscles at the back of the neck while riding? Riding with these over-tensed can lead to the pain you describe. Do the other riders in your trials suffer from similar pain while wearing similar helmets? No?

If this is what's happening, the agony would occur with any helmet or none.

It's descended into another challenging each other's experience contest, why does that always happen here.

To answer the original post, I doubt that you'll find the 1200 too heavy, lighter is better but it's not the only factor and it may be worth it if you find the visor useful.

• Like 1

How do you presume to know how much I or anyone else rides? Go ride with a motorcross helmet on, trust me, you'll notice the weight. Or maybe you're getting on in age (heaven forbid) and you have neck and back problems. Then you'll definitely notice.

I rode 200 hours this season. Real hours, on an hour meter, not bull**** estimated hours. My neck is always killing me at the end of an event. But according to you I'm not riding enough, and since you said it on the internet it must be true...

"

Lighten up for fecks sake, if you ride regularly and still have problems it may be a compound issue of foot rests to bars, height of bars, levers positions, poor suspension - the list goes on. Maybe your riding to much.....

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2