Need Critique (Video Included)

jacob429

EDIT: New progress video (filmed on Thursday)

https://youtu.be/5W1FZOQqGi0

EDIT: Most recent progress video

https://youtu.be/t4Y9m8tEYdo

Hey guys!

So the amount of crossover between trials and enduro seems debatable, but I'm a huge fan of both. Unfortunately, I can't afford a trials bike right now.

So recently I have been working on a technique I believe to be called 'double blip'. I wasn't sure the difference between that and jap zap. Pretty much, I would like to get better at blipping to wheelie, punch obstacle with front wheel as I drop the clutch. I'm not too concerned with actually getting any rear wheel lift before contact, but I still need to know what I'm doing wrong in terms of timing, body position, weight/deweight, etc, because my last session had me getting bucked every time, and over the bars once. My objective is to use this to not only tackle larger obstacles, but also to just train clutch control and being able to confidently use small clutch drops in more situations.

I have only pulled this off decently once, where I cleared the tires and landed even on the other side after rear wheel impact. It happened so fast I have no idea what I did, but I do know there was a big clutch drop (much more power than in the vid).

In the first vid, I'm just warming up with punching through. Only the last 2 attempts are my attempt at a double blip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ib9rSBjqZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_gzVaXJEA

Thanks y'all!

Edited by jacob429
Update video
  • Like 1

Had a look, as a new to skill rider, try loading the suspension prior to the double blip.

I.e. Drop your weight onto the pegs, hard to explain, to compress the suspension, then as the rebound of the suspension comes in, this with the blip assists the lift and you'll only need to put less weight towards the rear of the bike.

This way you remain more central on the bike, and thus more in control, rather than back over the rear mudguard.

Give it a go and let us know.

P.s: welcome to the best off road motorcycle discipline, you'll never look back.

Edited by jonboy883

Had a look, as a new to skill rider, try loading the suspension prior to the double blip.

I.e. Drop your weight onto the pegs, hard to explain, to compress the suspension, then as the rebound of the suspension comes in, this with the blip assists the lift and you'll only need to put less weight towards the rear of the bike.

This way you remain more central on the bike, and thus more in control, rather than back over the rear mudguard.

Give it a go and let us know.

P.s: welcome to the best off road motorcycle discipline, you'll never look back.

Solid advice. Thank you

You have the general idea, and a good starting point. It looks to me like you are using more momentum than technique to get over it. Slow the whole move down, literally from a standstill when you start. Your point of contact with your front wheel could do with been lower and that will give more kick from the suspension to catapult you onto the top.

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 1

You have a good start your basics are close... 

I agree with jrsunt...  Go slower, inching forward at the most, more compression on the suspension (jump on it hard) then half clutch first and more front wheel punch and then your second full clutch out with the second bit of throttle, if your near stalling on top with very little forward motion your closer to a correct double blip. 

Once you get that if you need more momentum after the blip you can add it in with very little extra effort. 

With your current progress I bet you will have it in no time.  Keep at it!  :icon_salut:

Edited by jonnyc21

You guys are the best. Next time I have a go, I'll give some of this a try and report back (with more video too!). It'll be at least several days since I am leaving on a riding trip soon.

It is quite tricky for me to approach at a very slow speed, but I'll try to slow it down. jonny, that's a great point you made about stalling on top. Us enduro guys tend to try and blast over everything, but if I can achieve the level of control to come closer to stopping on top, then it should be easy to add in the momentum later on!

Thanks for the post Michael! I'll check it out when I get back on the pc.

It's going to be minimum 2 months before I can practice the technique again because I popped my MCL on the 2nd day of my riding trip. Huge bummer, and will be the longest period of time off the bike yet. Will have to make the best of it by planning out some additions to the back yard obstacle course, and watching lots of riding vids!

Probably going to invest in the Leatt c frame knee braces, too bad it takes a knee injury to pull the trigger.

Edit: Checked out the vid. I always watch Ryan Young videos, dude is a beast!

Edited by jacob429

not that I am an expert but I think you need to allow your knees to bend as the rear makes contact as when the rear hits the tyres your legs look locked and that is caterpulting you towards the bars,if you allow your knees to bend then the bike moves under you and won't kick you off as seen in most attempts

retromlc, you are correct however I didn't note it because if he attempts is slower he will feel it and it will come naturally.  Thinking back though it was worth a mention so thanks!

With the slower speed he will get better at the timing of when the wheel hits and start loosening up the knees more instead of just slamming through it and not having the timing on when to expect the hit and soften them. 

Edited by jonnyc21

• 1 month later...

Fellas, I'm doing well on my road to recovery from my injury and have awesome news to report. I did the right thing - GOT A TRIALS BIKE!! Had to drive 4.5hrs to North Carolina to pick it up, 08 Beta Rev 3.

I also built another obstacle for training and finally got to use it on my 3rd training session on the new-to-me bike. Here are the results:

Sorry for spam - it wouldn't let me edit my previous post..

EDIT: Pardon the lack of gloves.. It was kind of intentional to leave them off so I could replay and better see what my clutch hand was doing - which is good because I noticed after replay that a lot of the time I was pulling the clutch in right away after the second blip and not letting the flywheel carry the me the rest of the way up.

EDIT: And I must say, the trails bike has been some of the most fun I've had.

Edited by jacob429

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Update on my most recent progress. Beginning of video is just some warmup routine. Getting better lift, bit more consistent, and making it up the platform almost every try. I found that my biggest problem I think was not jumping forward enough on the 2nd blip. Bit more practice and I may try it from the other side without the ramp.