Honda Question

laird387

I wondered if it was Gerald, John - it's very difficult with these modern helmets - used to be so easy with flat 'ats!

Does the last number of the registration (a '3') give us any clues?

Edited by laird387

Once you start down this detective trail, it gets ever more interesting!  First I looked for riders in my Scott archives who had ridden on the and '1' plate - that took me to the shot below, which is from the 1983 event - so that ties down the year because the and 'lost' negative has the same date coding on the film side. So we now have a year.

But the and '1' is misleading, so I reckon it must be the first digit of a rider between '10 - and 19', so now I can widen the hunt. 

In the meantime if anyone has a 1983 entry list that they can copy for me, then I have stacks of images and could easily turn them into a photofeature of 30 or 40 riders in the digital magazine on the 1983 Scott trial.

Meanwhile, enjoy.

Having started to look into the 1983 event, I can now confirm the rider on the '1' plate is, of course, John Reynolds, on his way to picking up the Folbigg Cup for making fourth best performance dropping 18 on time and 91 on observation.

Also a certain R J Sunter was part of no less than two award winning teams, the Scott Trophy for best performance by three members on the same make (Montesa that year) as well as the Eric Myers Trophy as a member of the best Richmond team on the same make.

This definitely looks like a photofeature opportunity for ORRe!

post-19290-0-82571100-1482587024_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Chris Myers 1986 the year Tony Scarlett won

I reckon you have nailed it, but good!!

The film edge reference is misleading - but I can't explain why at this stage, but I started trawling through the 1986 Scott images in the archive (and there are lots) and found this one, which is right bike, right helmet and right riding number.

So problem solved - it is Chris Myers in the 1986 Scott trial - and the fact that number 125 appears to have caught up with him is probably why he didn't appear in the results in 1986.

So thanks for all your help - and now I definitely have enough material for a full photofeature of 1986 in ORRe very shortly.

Enjoy - and watch this space, there are still over a thousand images to be correctly identified from that era...........

post-19290-0-80923700-1482746522_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, as a footnote to this particular posting, here is an image of Tony Scarlett on his way to winning the 1986 Scott trial, losing 7 on time and just 63 on observation. Colin Ward picked up the Eddie Flintoff Trophy for being the best on time that year but nobody else matched Tony Scarlett on observation.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-82905000-1482747371_thumb.jpg

• Like 1