Gasgas Model Years

trapezeartist

If I was in the market for a secondhand Gasgas somewhere between 2003 an 2012, which would be the significant model year changes I should look out for? Times when they actually introduced something new and (hopefully) better, rather than just some new graphics and a bit of bling.

If I understand correctly all of the improved or upgraded Pro motor parts can be retrofitted back to 2003.

Somewhere in those years I think there were front fork changes, but I am not sure what years or the changes.

I have had 08. 09, 010 and 011 Gas Gas Pros all been good bikes the 2011 model is streets better than the others if you can strech your budget to 2K I would go for a nice 2011 can not see how they can get any better than these.

I did search on "cracked frame" and it makes pretty scary reading, especially the bike with the steering head just about hanging off. But really how common is this? Is it just a few hard used and abused bikes? Or frames welded up by the apprentice?

As far as the "Beta or GasGas" question is concerned, having worked with Spanish companies for many years and lived in Spain for a while, I have a natural leaning towards the Gasser. But things like this may tip me the other way. Funny, I've never really thought of "Italian" and "quality" belonging in the same sentence together. (There. The other day I offended the Belgians, and now the Italians! Will I have any friends left?)

• Like 1

Don't worry, I'm not offended. Fwiw, in my local club here, I've never seen or heard of a gasgas cracked frame. Or a failed transmission. Gasgas was probably the best represented brand around here for a long time and still has a big user base. Lots of guys on 2010 and newer bikes. The beta is great too.

(There. The other day I offended the Belgians, and now the Italians! Will I have any friends left?)

I'll be your friend.

I am a Murican.  We offend everyone on a regular basis.

I have seen one GasGas frame crack.  it was an 04 or 05 and was abused HEAVILY by the Expert class rider that owned it.

(there was also a stretch of Sherco frames that had cracking issues between the headstock and the radiator)

I have not personally witnessed a catastrophic failure of a GasGas gearbox.

I had a personal experience of a single tooth coming off the 2/5 gear of my 2003 and had difficulty sourcing a new one, but GasGas was in "difficulties" at the time.  I believe it was an original gear from 2003.

Most GasGas issues are due to the owners not performing maintenance.  (common problem with all makes).

Maintenance can be different between manufacturers, for example one may need to have bolts tightened regularly, another may need to have water drained from under the flywheel cover, another may need the airbox cleaned out more often.

(but Beta is just weird :madnoel: )

On 12/29/2016 at 3:46 AM, zippy said:

I'll be your friend.

I am a Murican.  We offend everyone on a regular basis.

Oh good, a Yank. I can offend you too. Easy target! (There I go. Done it already.) :P

But thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll have to draw a conclusion on the frame breaking issue, and for the moment I'm going to conclude that it probably only affects a few examples. As I'll be buying something several years old, I suspect that if no-one else has managed to break it, I probably won't either. I have to say that having looked around a couple of GGs at a trial earlier in the week, the welding was pretty ugly. By way of contrast the welding (bronze welding probably) on a Whitehawk Yamaha was absolutely beautiful. I just had to stand a gaze on it with awe.

Edited by trapezeartist
typo
  • Like 1

stay away from 04 -08 GG had pegs break and gas tank leaks kick start brakes  and that wasnt just my bike anytime we went to an event you always saw the gg's laying on their sides having work done to them

I ride montesa now just gas and go

On 12/30/2016 at 7:35 PM, bbk said:

stay away from 04 -08 GG had pegs break and gas tank leaks kick start brakes  and that wasnt just my bike anytime we went to an event you always saw the gg's laying on their sides having work done to them

I ride montesa now just gas and go

Check your foot peg mounts!  ;)