Dismayed in the south west

hencam

I do agree with trapezeartist. If I observe I do it because I want to, not for thanks. Seeing others enjoy the event in their own way is thanks enough. I accept that some members of the human race aren't disposed towards offering thanks or even smiling. I'd rather they be themselves than blurt an unfeeling  "thanks for observing" just because they've been programmed to do it.

20 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

I do agree with trapezeartist. If I observe I do it because I want to, not for thanks. Seeing others enjoy the event in their own way is thanks enough. I accept that some members of the human race aren't disposed towards offering thanks or even smiling. I'd rather they be themselves than blurt an unfeeling  "thanks for observing" just because they've been programmed to do it.

I can't imagine anyone who volunteers to help, does it with the expectation of people saying thank you. The point, I'm guessing, is the fact that so many riders fail to acknowledge the existence, let alone show their appreciation towards the organisers and observers, in anyway.

Some even feel the need to moan about the cost of entry, sections, observers, the site etc, etc. I say, Before you moan, try doing it yourself, you might then realise how much effort is put into putting a trial on for you....

I don't observe so someone can say "thankyou for observing" I observe to help out and in doing so, my small contribution along with many others, allows us all to enjoy the sport for as long as possible. But it's also nice when someone says thankyou, as it makes you feel like your appreciated. Next time you go to a trial, try just standing at one section for about 3-4 hours and remember, many of these great people, aren't spring chickens anymore and may feel the cold more than the rest of us. So next time your at a section, just say hi and thanks, (because I'm not going to judge you, I don't know wether you genuinely mean it or not, that's not the point), but I'm pretty sure we'll all appreciate your acknowledgment.

Edited by jj65
  • Like 4

On 31-12-2016 at 11:24 AM, heffergm said:

So do you guys not have a work requirement in your local clubs? Around here, if you're competing for championship points, you have to work one event, which generally means checking. 

Same here.