HODAKA DALESMAN?

laird387

When the Dalesman models were in full swing at the 'works' in Otley, there was potential for a tie-up into a lucrative American market - so an engine that had readily available spares and support Stateside was an excellent idea - just such a motor could have been a Hodaka unit - they already had a flourishing business in the States - but no trials expertise as such - so at least one model was made.

Now here's the query - has anybody seen such a model? Better yet, does anybody know where there is one?

13 hours ago, scot taco said:

Not for sure,but I think this might be one.

IMG_7830_zpse812e2f1[1].jpg

That certainly looks as though you have spotted the actual bike - like all Dalesman frames it would have been created by Jim Lee and popular rumour has it that Mick Grant had a finger in the design pie, and since there were definite links between Mick and Kawasaki at that time , there's another link........

Now Scot taco all we need is the background to when that photograph was taken - and would it be possible to have a copy please?

I found the photo on the web so not sure when it was taken.

I did follow the link to a forum and it is said to be a Wassel framed Hodaka.

It said they were sold in the U.S. as Hodaka Challengers and in Canada as Sprite Avengers 

Definitely a British frame kit for the Hodaka motor,but is it a Wassel or Sprite frame or were those one in the same?

11 hours ago, scot taco said:

I found the photo on the web so not sure when it was taken.

I did follow the link to a forum and it is said to be a Wassel framed Hodaka.

It said they were sold in the U.S. as Hodaka Challengers and in Canada as Sprite Avengers 

Definitely a British frame kit for the Hodaka motor,but is it a Wassel or Sprite frame or were those one in the same?

Thanks scot taco,

Here is a picture of the particular frames, they were put together for Peter Edmundson by Jim Lee and sold as Dalesman motorcycles, definitely not a Wassell frame.

The tie up with Hodaka was because Peter had a chance to export to the States, if he could find a motor with adequate spares and knowledge 'back-up' Stateside - that proved to be the Hodaka.  A batch of machines were created, Peter bought the Hodaka engines, paid Jim Lee to make the frames, bought the wheels, forks, etc., and shipped the lot to the States.

Expecting money to arrive to pay for the batch of completed and exported machines, Peter faced near bankruptcy.  But he was not expert in overseas sales, so had not used the ECGD facilities offered by the government (Export Credit Guarantees Department) who would have verified the status of the purchaser in the States before allowing shipment, and then insured Peter for the subsequent payment. 

That all but ended the Dalesman story, but Peter was still keen to do his bit for sporting motorcycling, so he took up an interest in the Wassell concern - which is where the reference may have inaccurately originated - so NO not a Wassell or Sprite (from Frank Hipkins) but a DALESMAN.

Enjoy

'0-1-1971Dalesman-1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

Look on the USA trials page, I have got you the page back up, that I could remember reading years ago.

This is filled with posts by guy's that used to work at "Hodaka." "Malcolm Smith Page".

They seem to have built the trials bikes in the factory, copying the Sarascen frame, now there is a company that lost out big time trying to get into the USA market.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott
missed words

On 1/1/2017 at 4:58 AM, scot taco said:

Not for sure,but I think this might be one.

IMG_7830_zpse812e2f1[1].jpg

Gents, there seems to be a few 'wires crossed' in this thread.

Dalesman may have produced a Hodaka-engined bike - I don't know - but the bike pictured is definitely a Sprite (Avenger, as mentioned by Scot Taco).

Hi Guy's.

I have done my history.

And the Six trials bikes built, were built in the Hodaka factory, and not for sale to the general public.

A page on my web site shortly should explain the story.

Deryk, Is the person sat on the bike the Late Rob Fitton? (road racer)?

Regards Charlie~Oo>

Edited by charlie prescott
to add comment.