Oset 16.0 36v LiPo conversion

sveson

I have installed LiPo batteries on an Oset 20.0 48v before with good result. Now its time for my daughters 16.0 but I am not really sure about what batteries to use. I would like to have maybe 12000-16000 mAh and I am thinking about anything from totally 8 cells (29.6v) to 10 cells (37v). Is there anyone here who have done this and what batteries have you used? 

• 1 month later...

I have run two 36V Osets on Lipos for while now, a 16 and a 20 lite. I use two 5s 8000mAh batteries in series, so 10 cells, 37V nominal. The throttle lights drop from three to two lights at a convenient 37V so you, or the child, know to change batteries then. Bike operates fine with these.

• 3 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Run time obviously depends on type of riding, as a guide I can get my 22kg son on his 16 two thirds of the way round the Sherwood red mountain bike trail before a battery change is required. This is about 5 miles.

My understanding of C rating is that you multiply the capacity (8Ah say) by the C rating (15's about the lowest) to give a current that the battery is comfortable being used at. So this gives 120 amps. Given that the Oset 16 is fitted with a 40 amp fuse I reason that the current rating of the battery is never going to be a limiting factor! These batteries are designed to be used in a quadcopter type thing that will drain the battery in minutes, not half an hour like on an Oset. No BMS, just train the child to tell you when a light's gone. I'm not aware of a plug and play BMS that is suitable. Parallel charge. After a ride (down to two lights ~ 37v) I storage charge the batteries if they're not going to be used for a while and then fully charge (balance charge every time) a day or two before riding. I'm no expert but this seems to work and keeps my battery's quite well balanced. Hope this helps, sorry for the delay replying.