TWINSHOCKS ARE A'COMING............

laird387

It is obvious to me from the comments in many 'TC' members emailed queries that they believe I am only interested in the Pre-65/Classic scene.

Nothing could be further from reality, I am vitally interested in all forms of offroad motorcycle competition - not just trials, but anything involving two or three-wheeled sport of any kind.  Agreed my own personal financial situation over my younger active riding career, limited my own activity to the trials scene - but I was an active club member supporting our West Leeds scrambles and knockout hill climbs at Post Hill, as well as being very much involved with the early days of our White Rose trial.

When national service 'captured' me and posted me to various places around the country, then finally to Paris, I was just as actively involved in local clubs.

Now I have the chance to recall many of those days in our digital magazine and I am very happy to undertake to trawl the massive archive for interesting shots that have never been published before, taken at many events over the past thirty years or more.

But I also have a firm belief that if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well, so over recent weeks I have thoroughly reviewed and updated my entire computer and publishing system in readiness for the major task of getting quality images of every type of motorcycle sporting activity simply to aid as many people trying to restore or build virtually every marque of British and foreign motorcycle.

The point of this posting.

IT IS FAR EASIER - AND PROBABLY MORE BENEFICIAL - TO PUBLISH IMAGES THAT PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR (OR WOULD LIKE TO SEE JUST TO JOG THEIR OWN MEMORIES) THAN TO JUST SIT PONDERING WHICH ONES TO CHOOSE - SO IF YOU HAVE ANY PROJECTS ON THE GO THAT MIGHT BE HELPED BY AN IMAGE OR TWO, PLEASE, PLEASE DROP ME AN EMAIL EXPLAINING WHAT YOU WANT..........

Enjoy

Deryk

(Email address in the profile - or message me)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fourex said:

Isn't that a '75 model Cota 247 due to the clutch arm being on top of the cases?

Something doesn't look right with that pic, lack of bash plate/frame rails?

Your thoughts, fourex, prompt me to ask several questions:

1.      Did the same models of Spanish marques always be exported to Australia, the States and Europe simultaneously?

2.      How did the point at which any models turned from '74, say to '75 compare to the actual calendar New Year?

Whatever the answers, here is Malcom Rathmell in the same trial, also with the clutch lever arm on the top of the casing............

Enjoy 

'0-1-Malcolm Rathmell.1.jpg-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deputy dawg said:

Hello Deryk  would like to see more ossa machines if at all possible please

Hi,

Just any Ossa - or some particular machines?  Whatever, your request is noted - as well as a comment from a Stateside member who was admiring the amazing scope of 'tc' when an image of Mick Andrews on his Spanish registered Ossa won the Scottish (actually that was the second year he had won it on an Ossa!) and asked for more.

Well that also answered my request for suggestions of what YOU would like to see so, as someone who has known Mick Andrews personally since he first started riding and his Dad was his mechanic (and inspiration) I shall be telling a lot more of Mick's very complex life story that includes a works AJS for the youngest ever team member, riding for Great Britain in the ISDT as well as scrambling, plus all sorts of development rider angles not only for the Ossa machines that you are interested in, but also the Yamahas - and, much later the pre-65 scramblers and now the replica James/Francis-Barnett pre-65 bikes.

Where will you be able to read this story - in 'tc's own digital magazine, ORRe.

Enjoy

Deryk

PS.  Here's one OSSA just found in my lost pile - negatives that have become detached from the entry list/results sheet. so I don't know who - or where - but over to you, armchair sleuths, any ideas?

'0-1-mon 050638-1.jpg

Edited by laird387
grammatical
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

How about a 4 speed radial-head Bultaco? Preferably Graham Loram on the SSDT about 66/67/68.

Sorry not Graham Loram but the quick and easy is this shot of Sammy,  with the first production Sherpa.

'01img061 copy-1.jpg

• Like 1

That's the baby! More or less. I was just interested in a shot of Graham Loram because I bought my bike from him, and then sold it back to him a year or so later.

That looks like a metal tank in the photo. Mine was fibreglass. And I don't remember there being jubilee clips around the front fork dirt shields. Also I think the seat was thinner on mine and I had a painted rear number plate instead of the separate part (kinder on the cojones).

There don't seem to be many (any?) around the current twinshock scene. I know they were quickly superceded by the 5 speed, but I still look fondly on that bike.

I'm amazed at how little rear suspension travel it appears to have. Yet this was the bike that made everything else obsolete overnight.

17 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

That's the baby! More or less. I was just interested in a shot of Graham Loram because I bought my bike from him, and then sold it back to him a year or so later.

That looks like a metal tank in the photo. Mine was fibreglass. And I don't remember there being jubilee clips around the front fork dirt shields. Also I think the seat was thinner on mine and I had a painted rear number plate instead of the separate part (kinder on the cojones).

There don't seem to be many (any?) around the current twinshock scene. I know they were quickly superceded by the 5 speed, but I still look fondly on that bike.

I'm amazed at how little rear suspension travel it appears to have. Yet this was the bike that made everything else obsolete overnight.

Everything else obsolete - not correct, actually - that bike with Sam on board closer to the answer - but then again remember that he had made the Ariel 'all conquering' until he joined the Rickmans and started his Bultaco 'phase'

Edited by laird387
typo
  • Like 1