TWINSHOCKS ARE A'COMING............

laird387

Twinshocks OK ...

I would like to see more of Italjets especially white/green ones Piuma models in action of course.

Another Model I would like to see are Montesa Cota 242 in red which is Model 1986 which again came in two variants white and red and pure red I' am looking for pure red ones.

53 minutes ago, pschrauber said:

Twinshocks OK ...

I would like to see more of Italjets especially white/green ones Piuma models in action of course.

Another Model I would like to see are Montesa Cota 242 in red which is Model 1986 which again came in two variants white and red and pure red I' am looking for pure red ones.

Sorry, pschrauber, most action photography of that period was still black/white so I can't be sure if this Cota is one of the ones that you like - but the image comes from my book of the Scott Trial History which is being serialised in our digital magazine, ORRe, shortly.

Enjoy

'0-1-2015-11-17_13 copy-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, laird387 said:

Sorry, pschrauber, most action photography of that period was still black/white so I can't be sure if this Cota is one of the ones that you like - but the image comes from my book of the Scott Trial History which is being serialised in our digital magazine, ORRe, shortly.

Enjoy

'0-1-2015-11-17_13 copy-1.jpg

That is the complete red Cota 242. Very good to see btw. and

Thank You very much!

To B/W colored photos our Trialsport Magazine turned in color first in the mid of 2000 to 2010 when I remember right ... at least everything published decades before 2000 is black in white beside some special issues like number 200 and number 300 these where partial with color pics. So no problem with B/W that was standard back then.

Hi pschrauber,

I was an active photographer from 1950 onwards, so had to learn how to use film and also how to develop and print them for myself.

My comment was that ACTION photos are likely to have been in b/w, simply because the color film was so slow that you could not 'stop' the action.  I was doing still shots of machines for catalogues, etc., in color from about 1966, so 'posed' photos for magazines would often be in colour - that would be where your 'special edition' issues would come from.

Anyway, here is another Cota for you, Rob Edwards in action in the 1974 Eboracum Colonial trial.

Enjoy,

'0-1-Nil.Colonial.74 (8) copy-1.jpg

• Like 2

On 08/01/2017 at 1:37 PM, pschrauber said:

Twinshocks OK ...

Here is an Italjet, seen at Orgate Falls in the oldest trial in the calendar, the Scott Trial, in 1982.  Sorry I can't guarantee the rider since the riding numbers are not visible but I suspect it is Nick Jefferies, although I would have expected to see Nick on an Armstrong late in 1982, so it is probably somenody else...........

Enjoy - remember plenty more in ORRe.

'0-1-2015-11-17_109-1.jpg

Edited by laird387
adding detail

3 hours ago, laird387 said:

Here is an Italjet, seen at Orgate Falls in the oldest trial in the calendar, the Scott Trial, in 1982.  Sorry I can't guarantee the rider since the riding numbers are not visible but I suspect it is Nick Jefferies, although I would have expected to see Nick on an Armstrong late in 1982, so it is probably somenody else...........

Enjoy - remember plenty more in ORRe.

'0-1-2015-11-17_109-1.jpg

Peter Cartwright

On 07/01/2017 at 11:34 AM, fourex said:

Isn't that a '75 model Cota 247 due to the clutch arm being on top of the cases?

Something doesn't look right with that pic, lack of bash plate/frame rails?

To add to the confusion here is an image, also taken during the Enoracum Colonial trial in 1974 of one of the Montesa Cota models being used by the concessionaire, Jim Sandiford, for one of his supported riders, looks like Malcolm Rathmell but I can't confirm that, but the important fact is that it is a factory supported bike still on Spanish registration.

Enjoy.

CORRECTION ADDED FRIDAY:  I now have seen an entry list and this shot - which must be a prototype - was definitely from the 1977 Colonial trial - my apologies for the earlier confusion.

PHOTO: ©ORRe

'0-1-2016-01-07_19 copy.JPG

Edited by laird387
GOOF

The confusion, 2stroke4stroke, was  that fourex suggested that the images of Cotas from the 1974 season were incorrectly dated since he belived that the gear actuating lever position on the gear casing didn't start until the 1975 models.

A couple of points arise, then:

Malcolm Rathmell was still on Bultaco in 1974, didn't move to Montesa until 1975 so the Colonial photos do appear to relate to 1975 at the eraliest.

The bike Malcolm is on is the 348, possibly a prototype, which would always have had the clutch operating arm on top of the motor.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, cleanorbust.  The Eboracum Colonial was always a winter trial, so there always comes the inevitable point that I raised earlier, what calendar month did the model year begin - usually after the major show in very many cases - and that could often be September-ish with the British manufacturers that I am more experienced with.

Malcolm would have had the 'latest' version, hence the Spanish registration (I know about the petrol tank theory - but I also was a personal friend of Jim Sandiford and I know what he told me about prototypes and ownership and Montesa wanting very badly to get some winning results..........)

Hi cleanorbust,

Looking through the archive I have one definite 1975 shot of Malcolm on his Cota, riding in the Jack Leslie Ellis trial, by then his bike is locally registered by Jim Sandiford with a Bury number, as you can see.

As far as the queried bike is concerned, I only have Colonial shots from '74 and '77 in the archive - and even if the negative strips have been jumbled, I very much doubt that Malcolm would have been riding on a Spanish registration as late as as '77 - so most likely your thought that it would have been an actual prototype is probably spot on.

Enjoy.

'0-1-rastus'75 Jack Leslie Ellis Trial.Wards.jpg

Edited by laird387
typo
  • Like 1