SSDT sections

On 09/01/2017 at 6:25 PM, africanjon said:

Recently watched the 2016 SSDT vid and Dan Thorpe mentioned he rode most sections in 2'nd gear.  Riding last year I attempted most in 1st and struggled to maintain momentum and my line. Not too many similar sections here in California, but have been working hard on it and attempt them mostly in 1st.  For those who have ridden similar sections what are your thoughts or tips? I ride a Vertigo 300 with a 38 rear and almost always are using the 3rd map.

Much appreciated in advance.

Nigel, before you criticise my posts you should read the original post properly.

Dan Thorpe (a pretty decent SSDT rider) agrees with me

Africajohn state he struggled to maintain momentum in first, not that second was too fast, it was therefore perfectly rational to suggest using second where loss of traction / momentum is less likely.

He also states "similar sections" he did not restrict the question to SSDT sections. I have excellent SSDT type practice sections available to me and this has been commented on by BTC, WTC and SSDT winners who have ridden there.

I can't comment on Vertigo gearing for the SSDT as I have not ridden one but if I were on say a 300 Beta I would probably gear it up so first was about 1/2 to 5/8 way between standard 1st and 2nd. This would give a decent gear for most sections, a 2 &1/2 gear for faster sections and give the engine an easier time on the road.

Ive ridden a few trials near Dan and watched him up close at lots of BTC and even one world round at hawkstone, so I doubt YOU can teach me anything about his technique.

Dan probably rides more than anyone else in the entire country, he is an accomplished rider and a very capable expert probably in the top few % in terms of ability.

I and others have explained simply to you that this rider and others at this level have a different technique to the MAJORITY of clubman riders/average ability.

Why is it you have to disagree with such obvious facts @dadof2

Perhaps its you who should read posts.............again

Edited by nigel dabster

Perce andBaldilocks get my agreement. LINE then speed has been true for the last 50 years of my riding career, as a crispy who knows what to do but  (to quote a little feat song .old folks boogie) when your mind makes a promise that your body can.t keep  bla h blah blah. you have to be good to do the SSDT reasonably let alone get into the good riders class good riders can ride anything better than a less good rider that logic... I did find in my time as a rider that I got better the more times I rode it...you know whats coming and you pace yourself.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2017 at 5:58 AM, nigel dabster said:

Most of my riding is on sections very similar to the SSDT and based on that my advice remains practice as much as you can on slippy rivers using second, if you can master it it will be to your advantage. 

What is the best way / gear to ride a section is not the same as how any given rider should ride a section when they are tired or lacking confidence.

I draw your attention to what I posted previously. Your reply claimed that I advised second for all SSDT sections - which is not true, unlike the above which is sound advice to anyone contemplating the SSDT.

Edit - The above reads rather oddly because of the way TCs quote system works, It was dadof2 who wrote what the quote system seems to attribute to Nigel.

Africajohn asked a perfectly valid question, after reading the the responses I wonder what his thoughts are?

Edited by dadof2

reading these post i have not seen anything about the amount of road work and fast forest tracks that are used, so get your gearing nice for sections and then find it slow for that job ! yes i have ridden quite a few ssdt and as a rider i would gear my bike to use 1st most of the time and 2nd now and then.The  With gearing up it gave me more speed for the road and tracks which helps and are you really going to use 3or4 in a ssdt section or or you going to be using 1st most ?  , I have also seen people change front sprockets for the road work  ,As soon as i got home i would change my gearing back to what i would use as I found ssdt gearing was no good for normal trials .What i am trying to get across is that ssdt gearing is a 1 off 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 0:04 PM, africanjon said:

Thank you for all the replies!  So as I am crap 1st it is, until I get good then 2nd. Got it!

Thanks for the encouragement Baldilocks, rode it last year and it has got its hooks into me that is for sure. 

dadof2 :huh:

We have finally got some rain here in northern California after a long dry period so luckily I have been able to ride and practice similar rocky sections that are wet.  1st works much better for me at the moment, close attention to throttle hand and over exaggerating body movement also helps with momentum and getting back on line if I get off line.  

:thumbup: Thanks again for all the reply's, very helpful. Now about this strange stuff called mud!

• Like 1

On 06/02/2017 at 0:01 PM, on it said:

reading these post i have not seen anything about the amount of road work and fast forest tracks that are used, so get your gearing nice for sections and then find it slow for that job ! yes i have ridden quite a few ssdt and as a rider i would gear my bike to use 1st most of the time and 2nd now and then.The  With gearing up it gave me more speed for the road and tracks which helps and are you really going to use 3or4 in a ssdt section or or you going to be using 1st most ?  , I have also seen people change front sprockets for the road work  ,As soon as i got home i would change my gearing back to what i would use as I found ssdt gearing was no good for normal trials .What i am trying to get across is that ssdt gearing is a 1 off 

"I can't comment on Vertigo gearing for the SSDT as I have not ridden one but if I were on say a 300 Beta I would probably gear it up so first was about 1/2 to 5/8 way between standard 1st and 2nd. This would give a decent gear for most sections, a 2 &1/2 gear for faster sections and give the engine an easier time on the road."

The above is what I posted previously so it seems two of us agree on something.

• Like 1

Nigel me and you are clearly not going to agree on this one and this is my last post on this. Perhaps the best advice to africajohn should have been to bring a few sizes of sprockets and different chain lengths with him and then he can change them if he finds his gearing too far out.

I do understand the arguments for a lesser capability rider using first where second is really the correct gear. There are many variables, for example if you are feeling fresh and fit early in the week you may choose to use second in the hope of a clean, when you are knackered at the end of a long day later in the week you may choose first and go for a few well aimed dabs, the aim being just to keep going with minimal effort.

I think it was the 349 Monts that had a quick release gearbox sprocket mechanism to enable gearing changes to be made quickly by the rider, In this case the main aim to give the motor an easier time on the roads.

7 hours ago, dadof2 said:

I think it was the 349 Monts that had a quick release gearbox sprocket mechanism to enable gearing changes to be made quickly by the rider, In this case the main aim to give the motor an easier time on the roads.

The 349 was good for 70mph or more, how much faster would you want to go ?