New Member - Brain damage or no?

azkarl

Hello all - I'm a veteran sportsbike rider - Ducatis and Suzukis - but I started decades ago on a Yamaha enduro.  I was just offered a 1970 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 that has sat in a barn for the past 40 years. It does not run, but the piston is not seized and turns over in the cylinder head.   Are there adequate supplies of parts to restore this gem in the rough, or am I self-inflicting major brain damage if I do this project bike? Thanks!

Bultaco.JPG

Edited by azkarl
  • Like 2

Bultacos are great but I am biased. Parts are reasonably easy to pick up, there are a few suppliers and plenty of reproduction parts available. The restoration cost/difficulty depends on how much you are prepared or are capable of doing yourself, the bikes themselves are quite basic and simple to work on and reliable as well. I assume you are referring to the red bike which should have M199[1978] stamped on the headstock and on the engine cases near the oil filler plug [198 is a 250]. The bike looks like a good project as it appears to be in reasonable condition and just as important it looks to be complete [missing either the gearchange or brakepedal on the right side] The blue bike looks like an M92 325 1972/73

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Thank you very much Greg; the blue Bultaco is also available. I'll see and compare both of them tomorrow, then decide which of the two I'll purchase.  The seller has 3 or 4 more "parts" bike so that may prove extremely helpful.  I also have a motorcycle mechanic on cell phone standby to advise. I hope to complete the purchase and become a regular poster here. Thanks again.   Karl in Arizona.

Buy them both if you can :) but I'm biased too. The Red bike looks to have a Miller type GRP Bash Plate fitted. They were the 'go' in the day and if it's in half decent shape you could probably make a mould from it and re make in either GRP or Carbon and help pay for the restoration. If you do buy the red one and don't want the bash plate - I'll buy it and make you copy.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Hi Karl, you perhaps know this already but there's a Bultaco-specific forum further down the page where there are lots of very knowledgable and extremely helpful people!!

Buy them both and give them a new lease of life:D its a satisfying way of emptying your bank account!

D

• Like 2

Thanks!  I'd love to get both.  My conundrum is not just refurbishing both at the same time, but they have competition for that bank account;  JEEP CJ7 (JEEP is an acronym for Just Empty Every Pocket)  :lol:  The seller has 4 or 5  "parts" bikes - I'll see them tomorrow afternoon. I'll take pictures and post.

CJ7-SNP3.jpg

jeepie Jan 9.jpg

Sherpa.JPG

Edited by azkarl

6 hours ago, old trials fanatic said:

Sell the Jeep by a Land Rover the real deal.

If you've got good parts connections , Like jonv8 !!!!

And OTF , you'd of appriciated my CJ 7 ... 5.0 HO mustang motor , NV4500 granny gear box , Ford 9 inch diffs w/ oxlockers front & rear and custom made teflon sheeved leafsprings .... She could park one wheel on a 55 gallon drum and still have 3 for traction ... But more money than sense and I sold it at quite the loss ):

And the VIN plate said Jeep Motor Corp. , not AMC or CHRYSLER !!! I  wish their was a photo on this computer ...

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
added e to teflon !!!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, old trials fanatic said:

Sell the Jeep by a Land Rover the real deal.

I've considered a Defender, but this particular Jeep is unique = 401ci/330hp EFI AMC motor.  The modifications were done by two US Airforce helicopter pilots, the two prior owners. The work done reflects the military precision by which they conduct their professional lives. This was a primary factor in my decision to buy this particular vehicle.

401 engine specs.jpg

00606_7E21DNbkmHD_1200x900.jpg

Yuri description.jpg New Bilsteins all four corners

Edited by azkarl

Today I concluded the purchase of the following two Bultacos: VIN/serial no. PB13550955 and VIN/Serial no. B750035. The first I surmise is a Pursang of presently unknown displacement; the second an Alpina I am guessing, again of unknown displacement.  It's been a long day, so when I recover I will search this and other sites to determine which models and displacements I have actually acquired.   The seller has many - as many as 8 more - Bultacos in various states of integrity and disarray, including unused engines still in crates and naked frames, with a plethora of related parts, again in a wide variety of conditions.  He is collating serial numbers at my request.  I'll provide more information on this cache of Bultacos as I recover and receive information from the seller.

Pursang.jpg

alpina loaded.jpg

Alpina.jpg

http://cemoto.tripod.com/list.html

75th
ok
Matador MK4 SD
10/1970
75,000,001 to 75,002,377
TT

VIN/Serial no. B7500035

odd - the steering head VIN/serial no. indicates Matador but the body work is Alpina.  I'll check the engine no. at sunrise.Matador  750035.jpeg

ok
Pursang MK8 250
8/1974
135,000,001 to 135,004,280
Cross

VIN/serial no. PB1350955

Pursang Mk8.jpg

Alpina example.jpg

Edited by azkarl

On 1/13/2017 at 3:15 AM, azkarl said:

Thanks!  I'd love to get both.  My conundrum is not just refurbishing both at the same time, but they have competition for that bank account;  JEEP CJ7 (JEEP is an acronym for Just Empty Every Pocket)  :lol:  The seller has 4 or 5  "parts" bikes - I'll see them tomorrow afternoon. I'll take pictures and post.

CJ7-SNP3.jpg

jeepie Jan 9.jpg

Sherpa.JPG

I bought it! M92 Sherpa T 350 (325cc).  It runs after 40 years + in a barn!  I'll finally have a Bultaco trials bike!

• Like 2