Sherco 2007 rear shock

cornishflyer

Hi all,

Does this look like an original shock for a 2007 250? I can't find any damping control on the shock, or in the manual for that matter. It's pretty bouncy, certainly compared to a mates 2015 290, so I'm fearful the shock is due for a rebuild, if that is even possible.

Cheers

IMG_20170115_145038.jpg

3 hours ago, oni nou said:

Bouncy is how people who trick ride like it to be  and how the top riders have theirs set up.....others like theirs to have a rebound rate of 2 days duration or so...... A new shock will probably cost half of what your bike is worth,so you may find that bouncy suits you just fine

Thanks for that informative reply oni nou.

I'm pretty surprised this shock doesn't have at least rebound adjustment, even my mountain bikes have had that for years. I'll remove the shock and try the push pull trick. I wasn't able to find the link you mentioned (EDIT: Found it changing the site to Spanish).

Mine is like this:

I haven't worked out how to undo the bottom bolt yet, it seems to be obstructed with the lower suspension linkage, but I haven't looked properly yet. 

Thanks for the reminder about the carb by the way.

Edited by cornishflyer

You have to remove some of the linkage to access the shock bolt.I wouldn't expect the shock to be comparable with your friends 2015 ,they weren't brilliant when new..I had a go on one back then that had an Ohlins fitted ,it was so much better than my standard one.

Could have way too much preload also. New riders often crank up the preload thinking their trials suspension is "sacked out" The end result is a too bouncy suspension that is essentially a hardtail over small bumps and a pogo stick over large bumps.

Another thing to consider is the balance front to rear. Too much preload on one end or the other tends to do odd things to the handling. Both suspensions should be extremely compliant and track small obstacles or you'll forever be dropping points on the little bumps setting up for hits.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone,

Good to know it's ridable with this little rebound damping. I'll put it back together and just ride it I think, until I get better at riding I probably won't notice that much, I'm not attacking sections fast yet, just pottering around. My mate is able to do rear wheel hops and all sorts on it so I guess it's still more than enough for me at the moment.

I'll need to address the linkage slop at the same time, perhaps a project for a rainy day.

Cheers,

On 16/01/2017 at 6:48 AM, cornishflyer said:

Thanks everyone,

Good to know it's ridable with this little rebound damping. I'll put it back together and just ride it I think, until I get better at riding I probably won't notice that much, I'm not attacking sections fast yet, just pottering around. My mate is able to do rear wheel hops and all sorts on it so I guess it's still more than enough for me at the moment.

I'll need to address the linkage slop at the same time, perhaps a project for a rainy day.

Cheers,

The shock on my 06' is similar to yours & I just ride it, some experienced riders screw the preload right up so that they can hop around easier but if that's not you (or me) slacken it off a bit (don't forget to undo the grub screw) and see how it feels and go from there.

As previously mentioned, Splat do rebuilds but might also be worth contacting KAIS to get a rebuild quote if you decide to go down that route.

With your bike standing upright (not on the stand) how much can you lift the rear frame (slack play)? Most owners think that just replacing the (cheaper) needle bearings is enough but it soon gets to a stage when the bushes/pins are so worn that just replacing the bearings makes very little difference...replace the lot if you intend keeping the bike! And check swingarm play while your at it.

Although, as you have already mentioned, technique has a lot to do with what the bike can/cannot do :D

• Like 1