How old are we ?

daggs888

How old are we ? What is the average age of a club rider ?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the age of our riders ?

• Under 20
    • 20 -30
    • 30 -40
    • 40 -50
    • 50 +

Big Rich! Sorry, but you don't know ****, boy. I am soon 65, working 45 hour weeks, have a house full of people to feed and enjoy, plus mortgage over my ears. Still, there is a workshop for resting and plenty of land to use for other things than farming, like mx and trial bike therapy. No death in sight for decades to come.

I'd add 1 to the under 20's for my lad. Speaking from personal experience he's hardly rode this year as his sister's aren't that interested and her who must be obayed was getting hacked off with us disappearing every weekend and spending no time together, to keep the peace he's taken to rugby where it's a lot more family friendly for us having 2 under 5

I`m just the opposite with my son. Just out of High school and going to college. We are having the time of our lives, now that he is no longer doing team sports. (Mom`s plans)  We both won our class this year and camp 2 to 5 days a month. Probably do about 25 events this year!  

• Like 2

Really don't know I've thought about this for years and failed to come up with any format which wont deteriorate into a flat out race. I've had ideas from other folk too but most rely on riders being sensible which a lot aren't.. I'll work out something but it'll likely be my downfall.

Edited by breagh

I don't think a speed element is necessarily what is needed to attract youngsters. BMX racing is a very small part of BMX overall. I've never even heard of skateboard racing. Yet both of those are immensely popular, and a nice lead-in to trials. If we want to recruit more young riders, I think there are worse places to start than at BMX and skateboard facilities.

Edited by trapezeartist
Typos
  • Like 1

I think trials clubs should look at buying land and open a bit of a 'trials centre' for experianced riders along with areas for new comers to hire and ride bikes around simple sections. It would generate lots of interest from folks with other bike interests , road and mx etc . Most people will have a lot of fun on a trials bike even if it's pulling up a few shallow climbs and over a log or two. The problem at the moment is that to get into it you really need to go 'balls out' at it, full gear, bike, van, acu license .. and so on before u even get a practise ride ! .. the timed kickstart idea is great and would certainly make it more of a spectator attraction ..

one thing for sure is if we do nothing, it's gonna go by the looks of the numbers in the poll 

1 hour ago, daggs888 said:

I think trials clubs should look at buying land and open a bit of a 'trials centre' for experianced riders along with areas for new comers to hire and ride bikes around simple sections. It would generate lots of interest from folks with other bike interests , road and mx etc . Most people will have a lot of fun on a trials bike even if it's pulling up a few shallow climbs and over a log or two. The problem at the moment is that to get into it you really need to go 'balls out' at it, full gear, bike, van, acu license .. and so on before u even get a practise ride ! .. the timed kickstart idea is great and would certainly make it more of a spectator attraction ..

one thing for sure is if we do nothing, it's gonna go by the looks of the numbers in the poll 

I've just spent a day at Muddy Wheels, which is pretty much what you described daggs888. There were three of us on Muddy Wheels' bikes and three or four people practising on their own. Of the three, there was one returner who was very competent, one who was effectively a first-timer and one who had never even ridden a motorbike before. All three agreed it was a brilliant experience.

I would recommend this to anyone thinking of buying a trials bike, before they jump in with their cheque book. It may be a bit of a jaunt for many people, but you get to see a lovely corner of Gods-own-county too.

I sure can see why 999 is your favourite number.

When I finally lose it which may be nearer than I think I'll invest in a sidecar.

All those riders I've helped over the years can take turns in driving me round the course.

Naturally I will be obliged to comment on their riding ability  spiced with any other derogatory remarks I can come up with.

Looking forward too it already.

• Like 2

Had my first trials experience at 16 years old ( when Eddy Lejeune was at his peak and there was trials on TV in Belgium) on a converted (= lowered front mudguard ) Puch Cobra, riding over an old car in our backyard. This ended at 18 when I bought a road going motorcycle.
Bought a real trials bike ( Montesa 315R) at 40 and I'm 52 years old at the moment.

Puch Cobra.jpg

• Like 1