Bike options for kids!

dmc2028372

Evening all. My boy has an Oset 20 lite that he's fast out growing. Add to that the frustration that the batteries didn't quite last the distance in a trial the other day and the very on/off power delivery that an electric bike gives and I'm thinking of moving him on to a little petrol bike. 

Im completely out of touch with the kids scene so what are my options!  He's nearly 7 but he's a big strong tall boy for his age. It seems to be only beta's as far as I can see. Don't really want to spend too much at this stage as I'm not convinced he's big into it yet!!!

p.s. There's a Sherco 0.5 for sale locally. Any thoughts on that???

Sorry, I have to disagree with lineaway. Both my kids have gone from electric to petrol via a sherco 0.5, its probably the best transition bike you can get. Once they are competent on the sherco get a Beta 50 as this throws a clutch and gears into the equation but has roughly the same power. From there its a Beta 80 medium wheel or GasGas  junior then on to a beta 80 big wheel. Hope this is of some help.

13 hours ago, lineaway said:

All the auto`s suck. Don`t waste your time. The ty 80 works until he is big enough for a Beta 80.

This has been my experience recently Oset 20r TY 80 Beta sw80 so have to agree.

The Osets miles better to ride than the ty 80 and more competitive but frankly unless your hobby is pushing bikes back to the pits follow by a very sad small child you have to run petrol.(Or lipo if you're rich)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, breagh said:

This has been my experience recently Oset 20r TY 80 Beta sw80 so have to agree.

The Osets miles better to ride than the ty 80 and more competitive but frankly unless your hobby is pushing bikes back to the pits follow by a very sad small child you have to run petrol.(Or lipo if you're rich)

Is the Lipo conversion a lot of money compared to the purchase price of an Oset?

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Is the Lipo conversion a lot of money compared to the purchase price of an Oset?

I looked into it for our lads came in at £450 I couldn't justify it for a set of batteries 

My daughter is showing a bit of an interest in having a go. She's had a few rides on an Oset but wants a bike that makes a noise when you turn the throttle! Why don't some of you like the autos? I've been thinking of a TY80 but I'm concerned that clutch and gears will be too much for her.