Best Buy boots ?

daggs888

I think the modern Gaerne's are horrible. They feel like sneakers... very comfortable for walking around, but no arch support at all. Sidi's didn't fit me correctly, so I went with Alpinestars Tech-T. If you want something cheaper you can find a lot of the old models (No Stops) at a reduced price right now.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 4

For value, I've found the Wulfsport trials boots to be pretty good. They can be had for about £102 on eBay at the moment, and from my point of view perform fine. 

If you regard boots as a disposable item rather than a once in a lifetime purchase, they make good sense. You could easily spend more than double for other boots which might end up in the bin anyway in, what, 2/3 years?

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

For value and protection consider the Forma Boulder. The Gaernes are great looking and low maintenance but the synthetic leather does absorb water when splashing around in streams and they give the same protection as carpet slippers. I have smashed big toes, nails etc very painfully as a result.  The don't seem to sag around the ankles like leather boots can. The Wulfsports appear similar to the Formas. I believe the Alpinestars have toe protection too. SIDI's sole can wear in a couple of years.

Not sure on the new Alpinestars but the older version has a good toe box but not really what I would call strong toe protection.  Much better than the Gaernes my wife has but she prefers them for comfort and isn't riding as hard as me so I haven't forced the issue.  My Daughter rides as well and likes her new (older stile) Alpinestars and I like that they are a bit more protective.

hope that helps.

Brown oiled Hebo offer very good protection that doesn't disappear when wet.Mine took a bit more wearing in as they are very stiff when new,done about 60 trials in them,reckon they'll do another 60.Theyre a little heavier than Gaern or Alpinestar but I've never hurt my feet in them

My wolfsport boots killed me until the ankles sagged, they have a plastic bit meant to protect the ankle joint that dug in on the right boot. I've also injured a toe in them.

Boots are all about the fit though, best to buy what you can try, or failing that go for the cheapest.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nearly 5 years ago I bought a pair of Wulfsport boots from Ebay.  They were really uncomfortable and rubbed the skin off my left ankle.  I put padding in there, but it still rubbed.  A month later I had had enough, so I bought a pair of Garne Balance oiled from a dealer (Active Bikesport) where I could try them on first.  They were nearly twice the price of the Wulfsports, but much more comfortable and one size larger. After a bit  I wore them alternately.  After a while the Wulfsports became more comfortable and became preferable to the Garnes.  

However, the inner lining on the heel of the Wulfsports has now worn away and the rough, stiff plastic? heel protector rubs my heel.  Additionally, the leather has cracked/split where it joins the sole and cannot be repaired.  

I like having two pairs of boots.  I may get another pair of Wulfsports, but one size larger than last time.

Edited by stpauls