Cub front hub and heavyweight forks

jonnyjibs

Hi

I have a 1958 Cub with what I believe are the original hub, spindle, spacers into heavyweight forks. There is a gap that I'm questioning on the opposite side to the drum. Am I missing a spacer? Should the hub pull through further when I tighten the nut on the drum up? Or does it just have a gap!?

IMG_0857.JPGIMG_0858.JPGIMG_0859.JPG

Yes mine had a gap,  before you tighten the two nuts fully on bottom of legs, gently tighten them first, and then push forks up and down too center axle then tighten, if legs are pushed in and then tightened, forks wont work properly.

Thanks vinnied, I've had the wheel out, so I'll loosen off fork bottoms and check it's all sitting right as you suggest. I initially nipped them up whilst off the ground.

Samwisemcg, I can only compare to fairly modern forks. The oldest being standard TY175. Obviously, compared to those they aren't all that. Lift the front wheel off the ground and they clunk, but they go up and down when you want them to. As I'm not wanting to take the bike too far from "stock pre 65" they will remain untouched. 

Edited by jonnyjibs
Badly written initially!
  • Like 1

I have a Cub with heavyweight forks, internal springs  which I've owned for 18 years in Australia. An old mate of mine, Chris Leighfield gave me a fork mod which he had on his own original works Cub before he emigrated. He asked me not to give details to anyone as it was a Triumph design for the works bikes only.

It gave me more movement than MP forks and is still effective on the bike today,,,,,,, To honour Chris's request I cannot give more details,,, my lips are sealed:rolleyes:      

I have a Cub with heavyweight forks, internal springs  which I've owned for 18 years in Australia. An old mate of mine, Chris Leighfield gave me a fork mod which he had on his own original works Cub before he emigrated. He asked me not to give details to anyone as it was a Triumph design for the works bikes only.

It gave me more movement than MP forks and is still effective on the bike today,,,,,,, To honour Chris's request I cannot give more details,,, my lips are sealed:rolleyes:      

cub200.....I hear what your saying, but please pass on that information to someone before it is lost for ever!!!

• Like 3