Model 165 exhaust woes - will any other models fit?

bultacobrian

Hey! So, I've got my bike almost buttoned up, but my local guy can't seem to find me the right exhaust, after selling/trading me 3 different pipes. I see a few online sellers with reproductions for sale. Some of their ads show the same pics for a TON of different models. So my question is this: are these guys making one-size-fits-most repros, or are there other model exhausts that will fit my bike?

Initially I didn't want to start this project without the pipe. BUT, I trusted my local Bultaco guy and bought one and now here I am, a bunch of money sunk into this and stuck between cutting and hacking together a franken-exhaust, spending a ton of money for a repro, or waiting until one hopefully turns up some day, maybe. Worst part is I saw one sell recently and had I known that I still didn't have the right pipe, I would've snagged it in a heartbeat. A m166 350 pipe looks close enough, could I just modify the opening to fit the right muffler? Local guy says they won't mate up but I'm more optimistic about it, if the pipe bends are right.

Any advice on fitting a substitution, sources for this pipe, or cross-references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-bb

Hi what bike is the exhaust for? I had same problem I bought a exhaust for my 199A the guy said it was for this model I paid good money and it was the wrong 1there are quit a few different front exhaust witch the bends  Are different I managed to get 1 in the end costing even more money.

My bike is a model 165. The pipe that I have might be for a later model 350, not really sure. I wish there was an exhaust reference with all of the pipes shown for the different models, given the Bultaco model naming convention. To further complicate things, we looked at the dealer parts book and there were 3 pipes made for just the one model, depending on which international market it was being sold in. I might drag my bike down to the local dealer and see if he has any scrap parts that we could hack together. Was hoping someone on here knew of a buddy with a 165 in the shed to part out or more info on the repro pipes. 

The alpina 250 and 350 used different exhausts.  They physically look identical but the 350 uses a wider header pipe. The same holds true for the Sherpa T's.  All Sherpas starting at the 150-151 up to 190 - 191 models used the same exhausts.  That is the 250 was one size and the 350 was another but essentially looking the same.  

The Alpina starting with the 165 -166 models did the same exact thing.  250's one size 350's another.  

Do you have the exhaust manifold still ?  If so great.  Call Tim at Bultaco motorcycles in New York.  He more than likely will have a good used exhaust available.  And he knows the difference between the 165-166.  Sounds to me like bob doesn't have the right one that's all. 

You can buy a new one from Spain.  Just know to buy the 250cc exhaust.  Sherpa or alpina   Both will fit.  They are the same.  

Steve.  

• Like 1

Hi Steve! Thanks for the reply.

I've got the manifold so I'm good there. The original was rusted solid. I've also already got a muffler, maybe NOS, or at least cleaned up and painted, which is more than I could ask for. As a learner bike, I'm not so concerned with appearances.

So you know Bob, eh? Whereabouts are you located? He's a nice guy, I like chatting with him, and he means well, but he's also an 80+ year old guy who runs his business because he's afraid he will die if he retires. I try to remind myself to frame my experiences there in that context. 

I could've sworn I called Tim about an exhaust, but maybe not. That might've just been when I was looking for clutch parts. It would make sense because I probably was still operating under the assumption I had a good pipe. I'll give Tim a call and also Lynn again. Thanks for getting me to think about those sources again. 

I was trying to not have to buy one from Spain. Thanks for clearing up the distinctions a bit. Here's hoping there's still a used one to find!

-bb

• Like 1

Hey alpthusiast! That's good info to have.

@stevem75 , tried Hugh's, tried Mobley's, nothing. Lynn couldn't even think of anybody who might have one. Considering that most of the original exhaust is kinda intact (involuntarily de-restricted... ok, pretty ratty), except for the first couple of bends which don't exist, I'm gonna look into repairing that first. Might the be shortest path to a solution until something better presents itself. And so, as the market dictates, up goes the price of the pipe I need to get rid of.

Thanks for the helps fellas! Let me know if y'all stumble across a good used one, or even a half-good used one.

-bb

• 4 weeks later...

Try vintageMX.net. There is also a guy who is in Nevada who has a field full of old Bultacos and parts:

Lynn & Dorothy Mobley

1320 Cathy Lane

Minden Nevada 89423

bultaco@nanosecond.com

(775) 267-2103

Mobley’s Bultaco Parts 1988 to 2013 - 25 years

Bultaco Marque 1958 to 2013 - 55 years

Bultaco factory/company closed about 1980

** Still going strong May 1, 2015   ** New batch of pistons/new sizes just arrived 

*           Call Lynn Monday-Friday PACIFIC time, mornings are best.    

*           We ship promptly and take VISA and MasterCard.

*           We work out of our home, we are not a storefront shop. 

*           All visits are by specific appointment only.

*           We are always closed on Sundays and major holidays.

*           We are usually gone mailing, eating and other errands around the lunch hour.

We stock parts to keep your Bultaco engines running, such as pistons, rod kits, seals, bearings, gears, gaskets.  We regularly stock flywheel pullers, petcocks, points, brake, clutch and throttle cables.  We have frame pieces such as swingarms, levers, shifters, grips, seat foams and covers.  Trim pieces, fenders, side panels, gas tanks, seats, and such are harder to find.  We may have parts as NOS, used, or reproduction.

We buy and sell daily so what we have changes constantly, therefore we have no inventory list, catalog or lists by model number.  Many parts fit several models.

We have parts books specific to most models, with exploded pictures keyed to part numbers ($25).  Our Workshop Manual has lots of how-to pictures, but not specific to a certain model, 100 2-sided pages in a binder, plus a Quick Reference Chart ($45).

We bought out many Bultaco dealers and have lots of new parts (New Old Stock or NOS), and we have 100+ Bultaco derelicts in the back yard to pick used pieces from as well.    We buy inventories, large and small.  Call us and tell us briefly what you have.

We do Bultaco engine rebuilding, with a five day turnaround on most engines.  We have a complete machine shop in house for services such as crankshaft press and align, cylinder boring, heli arc welding.  We do left side shift conversions, from start to finish.

We are dealers for Sammy Miller products, Amal (carbs and carb parts, throttles and levers), Barnett, Western Power Sports and Tucker Rocky; and we have some parts reproduced. 

To order you must call Lynn as there are many options to each order which he needs to discuss with you. Many of these 40+ year old bikes have had lots of changes over the years.

When you call please have your engine or frame number (so we can determine the correct model number), and if you're talking about a piston or a set of rings, we must have a current BORE size.  We may need to know what carburetor you have on the bike.  Please see our attached Model Number Reference List for more information.  Bultacos were not sold by year; they should only be identified by model number.

Because there is much discussion to ordering parts, ordering by email is very limited.  You can email some information to us, but the actual order needs to take place by phone.

• Like 1