Montesa Replica 2017

roba

Hey guys, ive just picked up my new Mont, and getting ready for my 1st trial on it tomorrow.

Ive gone from a 2008 gas gas 300, Ive been out on it a couple of times and the 1st thing i noticed was how much it pushes on in std gearing in 1st. Ive searched and read as much as i can, and see you guys recommend lowering to a 9 tooth up front, i'll see how i go Sunday with it as std. 

One thing that has really stood out is how nice the Showa suspension is, going over some concrete blocks that i usually go over with the gasser, i couldn't believe the difference. But hitting these blocks i did notice that my timing was out by a fraction compared to the 2t.

Any advice on the bike and how to get the best out of riding the bike from a 2t to 4t would be appreciated.

I ride intermediates by the way.

Cheers Rob 

You don't say what your riding ability is, but if you finding it too fast in sections in first gear, then try a 9t on the front and a 43t on the rear. That slows it all down nicely, but still allows you to do most things in first gear (depending on your standard).

I ride around the same level and found that with a little practice I like stock gearing better than with a 9T or sized up rear, however if I was going to do anything I would just go up 3 in the rear and keep the 10T in the front as the 9T is a bit harder on chains. 

As for timing its just a practice thing, I was on a 2T to start with and got my Montesa and found that I adapted quick just by riding it a lot. 

---

Some things that I think have helped me...

To practice larger obstacles with a small pre compression bounce on the front before the full compression bounce, seemed to help me with a combination of the up as well as throttle and timing. 

I also found being a little earlier on the throttle with more clutch work helps me as well. 

I have also found that I really like using the mid range power and so often find myself shifting up to second and using less throttle and way more clutch as time progresses. 

I can't say this will work for you, however stock gearing, more clutch work, and using the mid range power they provides works well for me.  What can I say, they ride different, they are not 2T's.

I make no claims real or implied...

I am sure you will do fine! :thumbup:

I went to 9 as an experiment and found it fine but, as said, cruel on the chain.  I now run 10/43 and will probably stick with that, it is halfway between 9/41 and 10/41.  9/43 seems very low. 

I would give it a few trials first - I met a chap who runs standard gearing and uses second all the time, but it did look a bit hairy.

• Like 1

Well, the bike and i survived our 1st trial together, it was good but frustrating for the first couple of laps.

Then things started to come together especially the timing, there were a couple of short sharpe banks 1.5m vertical that caught me out early on with to little throttle.

Gave it a good blast after that and up i went. Overall im a happy convert and am sure i will enjoy and learn the more i ride it. 

• Like 5