Ossa mar....it lives!!!

basketcase

After rebuilding my mk 2, except the engine, I've finally kicked it up!!!! Can't believe it started after the 3rd kick. My only concern is that the clutch isn't working. The lever pulls in but stays there, are the plates stuck or is it something else?? I haven't tried putting it in gear yet as the tank isn't connected yet and it runs out of fuel pretty quick seeing as I'm only filling the carb.

The bike has stood for over 3 years but ran lovely before I attacked it!!

• Like 1

Cheers but I think that I might have spoken too soon. Taken the carb apart, cleaned everything, put it back together but now it won't start!! I definitely re assembled it correctly so now unsure where to go now. There's a nice spark, fuel getting through. It's times like this that I miss an electric leg ?

Schoolboy mistake I made on mine.  While cleaning the entire machine of the previous owners last ride dirt in the 80s, I removed the carb and exhaust.  I stuffed several paper towels into the intake spigot and exhaust port, then sealed them with duct tape.

As i reinstalled the carb, I removed duct tape and paper towel.  Installing the exhaust, not all of the paper towel came out.

My prestart process had me visually inspect the cylinder wall via the exhaust port, and add two stroke oil, plus many turns of the engine by hand with the kick starter.

When I tried to get it fired up, it always acted as if it wanted to run, but refused.

Finally,  i removed the silencer / spark arrester and gave it a kick.  A paper towel flew out  10 feet.  Next kick it came to life.

No assurance this is the problem, simply a suggestion and means to laugh at myself.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pmk said:

Schoolboy mistake I made on mine.  While cleaning the entire machine of the previous owners last ride dirt in the 80s, I removed the carb and exhaust.  I stuffed several paper towels into the intake spigot and exhaust port, then sealed them with duct tape.

As i reinstalled the carb, I removed duct tape and paper towel.  Installing the exhaust, not all of the paper towel came out.

My prestart process had me visually inspect the cylinder wall via the exhaust port, and add two stroke oil, plus many turns of the engine by hand with the kick starter.

When I tried to get it fired up, it always acted as if it wanted to run, but refused.

Finally,  i removed the silencer / spark arrester and gave it a kick.  A paper towel flew out  10 feet.  Next kick it came to life.

No assurance this is the problem, simply a suggestion and means to laugh at myself.

I recently fired up a little petrol genny that had been lying under the bench for several years. First pull, and a large and very surprised spider flew out of the exhaust.