Tech fork oil levels

hannu

Suppose I've been lucky really as my 2014 4rt has only just required its fork seals replacing. I have changed the oil before but just drained and refilled with the "required" amount less a tad for the oil that could not be drained.

So whilst stripping the full leg down to replace the seals and cleaning each part before replacing I thought I would rebuild the correct way by using the measurement of the oil level rather than the amount. Left "Spring" leg fine 410ml which = 100mm, Right leg to my surprise took 30ml less than the recommended 400ml to achieve 50mm depth.

So what should I go with, the level or the amount ?  

Have been doing oil change on my gas gas tech forks tonight. Measuring is just about impossible as both legs have a spring (thought it was supposed to be the left leg)and also a wide piece like a spacer at the top of each spring. Anyway by trial and error I finally came to the following fill amounts by filling gradually and compressing until travel and rebound felt right .  My results are LH fork leg140ml and RH fork leg 230ml. Has anyone any views. Seems to ride better than before so happy really.

• 2 months later...

Could do what I do and just wing it. Changed the wee boy's Beta's seals yesterday and just guessed  felt brilliant.

I think half the riders are running about with wrong capacities as seals seep away and other crap gets in through pressure washing .

I don't subscribe to this method when mixing fuel, well not every time..

• 2 weeks later...

On 02/02/2017 at 1:05 PM, anotherfive said:

Have been doing oil change on my gas gas tech forks tonight. Measuring is just about impossible as both legs have a spring (thought it was supposed to be the left leg)and also a wide piece like a spacer at the top of each spring. Anyway by trial and error I finally came to the following fill amounts by filling gradually and compressing until travel and rebound felt right .  My results are LH fork leg140ml and RH fork leg 230ml. Has anyone any views. Seems to ride better than before so happy really.

Not to wanting to challenge you, but are you sure that you have a Tech fork? Marzocchi have two springs and were in the earlier Raga replicas, whereas the Tech only has a single spring on the left side. Oil level is also measured with the spring removed as per GasGas manuals.