fuel leak on 4t evo

retromlc

hI...again,I've noticed a smell of fuel in the garage lately,checking my 2013 4t Evo I have noticed a very slight weap of fuel that seems to be coming from behind the fuel pump/ fuel tap? is this common? apparently there is no rebuild kit if the seals have failed,Gordon Farley who supplied the bike thinks it might be the copper washers that bolt the unit to the frame tank,they haven't seen the bike but it's a 140 mile round trip.Any clues<I'm hoping not to have to replace the part as they've said it's over £100

Have you tried carefully tightening the banjo-type bolt that secures the tap to the frame?  It may be the washers (I think they're fibre, not copper) have become a little squashed over time and are no longer providing a good seal.

However if the weep is from adjacent to the small manual on/off device then it is possible the main seals have gone.  Sorry, but I can't recall what seals are in there.

I no longer have my 4T but I didn't experience that problem.

• Like 1

Hi Retromic    

This won't help your leak, however for the record the Beta 4T does NOT have a fuel pump.  The long chrome cylinder attached to the side of the frame is an electronic  fuel shut off.  The small lever dependent upon what position you have it in either shuts off the fuel when the bike is off or keeps it flowing.  

It is just a simple on off of the fuel for when the bike is switched off, basically a electronic petcock.    

There is NO pump mechanism inside only a solenoid.  

Cheers

BillyT

Edited by billyt
  • Like 1

ok thanks i used that term as that's what Mr Farley called it.I have replaced the washers with copper ones but haven't put more fuel in yet. With the lever in the down position will that shut the fuel off or does it only work when it's running? sorry but my last trials bike was a TY175 so it's new to me and info is not readily available.my other  local trials shop understandable doesn't want to share info just bring it in and they will fix it,Even thought i've spent a lot with them over the years info apparently isn't free (not g farley btw they have been handy)