New Cota 348 Owner

adambeevers

Good evening guys and gals,

Just yesterday I acquired my first motorbike, something that was bound to happen eventually with my girlfriend and her family being motorbike crazy. I'm a car technician by trade and have never tinkered with a motorbike so it should be an interesting experience.

So yesterday I had a text from a friend who rides bikes, offering me a 'free trials bike', he sent a photo and I didn't know what I was looking at particularly, apart from a bike in bits but I asked if all the bits were there and he said yes so I thought sod it why not. Popped round and picked it up, didn't inspect anything as it was free... 

He said he brought it 4 years ago with his dad, and it was running but the gear selector had jammed. He thinks they fixed that issue but just never put it back together, but that was 4 years ago so he cant really remember. It's been sat in a shed since and for the last few months got moved outside without any shelter!

I was just wondering if anyone could shed anymore information on these bikes, I've done a bit of research online but haven't found loads. I believe its just over 300cc, and only the 349 was 350cc?

Does anyone know what I should be inspecting on the bike (common problem areas, anything to check out on the gear selector to see if it is going to work?

Also, on a slightly different note, the bike came with a registration plate, but I've done a vehicle check on the .gov site and it doesnt find anything. Why could this be, how could I work around this to get a owners document.

Sorry for the tons of questions, but I know you guys will have far better knowledge than me!

Thanks in advance,

Adam

16464696_205341286606708_156101621889735

Edited by adambeevers
add photo

The end of the selector drum is visible within the primary side casing.  It has a slot in which the selector pawls slide.  This slot is just off centre and it is common for it to be put in upside down causing selection of only some gears. Generally speaking the Montesa gearbox is a bit finicky, with several shims.  The Bultaco only had one shim and was usually a better box. And no, I can't recall which is the right way up for the drum to go but someone will.

I am not sure how far back the computerised records go - maybe the bike is too old to appear there?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

30 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

The end of the selector drum is visible within the primary side casing.  It has a slot in which the selector pawls slide.  This slot is just off centre and it is common for it to be put in upside down causing selection of only some gears. Generally speaking the Montesa gearbox is a bit finicky, with several shims.  The Bultaco only had one shim and was usually a better box. And no, I can't recall which is the right way up for the drum to go but someone will.

I am not sure how far back the computerised records go - maybe the bike is too old to appear there?

Thanks for the speedy reply. Sadly I've just had to google most of what you just said so I knew which bits you were talking about, I don't know all the names of parts yet.. as I haven't gone through the boxes yet, I don't know if the gearbox is in bits, I suspect it is. If so, I'm presuming I'm going to have to acquire new shims and check the gaps?

Is Bultaco another brand of gearbox that these bikes had fitted or were used instead when replacing?

As far as I was aware, the online records were meant to show all registered vehicles, possibly not scrapped vehicle (never tried). Is it possible it was imported and never registered in the UK? Reg shows as 'VEL 259S', 

31 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Sorry, I assumed a certain level of knowledge on how things work given your trade/profession.  Is it all just plug and play in the business now?

You'd be surprised how much is now, I'm 25 and been working in a ford dealership for 6 years. I know my way around a car engine but sadly motorbikes appear to be very different, obviously. And as I've literally no motorbike back ground, I wouldn't know names of parts etc.

36 minutes ago, windlestone1 said:

The 348 had frame tubes under the engine. The frame in your pic is a 349 the later model. Bultaco is a different make of spanish trials bike. Google Montesa 349 you should find plenty info

Oh that's interesting! So the bike has obviously been fiddled with at some point, although I would imagine most have due to being trials bikes. Curious wether the engine is from a 348 or 349, or won't they fit in the different frames. Possibly it's just the fuel tank that's from a 348, which is all I had to go by. The bike also came with a 'rover service and parts' folder, full with the exploded parts diagrams etc for a 348.image.jpg

The S registration would be right for it being a 348. The 349, which superseded the 348, was produced a little later.

If you can post a photo of the rear silencer that would help to identify which you have.

Edited by cleanorbust

4 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

The S registration would be right for it being a 348. The 349, which superseded the 348, was produced a little later.

If you can post a photo of the rear silencer that would help to identify which you have.

Thanks for the information, the bikes currently in a council garage to be sorted whilst I had to get a new unit (lost my last one before Christmas!) so il try to pop down tomorrow and take a photo of it, it won't help but it's rectangular from what I remember but I didn't pay much attention when picking it up, may be wrong. Will find out tomorrow. 

Just now, collyolly said:

The bottom of the frame has possibly been modified to replicate the later model, perhaps you could try and get the frame and engine numbers dated.

Yes that's my next step I think, are they pretty obviously placed? 

9 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Frame number stamped in the headstock area, engine number stamped on top surface of the crankcases.

Good morning, 

I've checked the frame number, it reads 51M0401. Only information on this I can find is that it's a Cota 348-349, do the last 4 digits help you pin point the year? I couldn't find info on this. Also included some photos of the exhaust, as I couldn't get to the engine this morning.

IMG_1415.JPGIMG_1416.JPG

Edited by adambeevers

Thanks. Sandiford Off-road (try googling them) may have historical records of the frame/engine number dating as they were the importers for Montesa. The silencer indicates 348, not 349. Seems the bike is therefore a 77/78 model.

One thing worth checking is whether there is any damage/evidence of repair to the frame near the headstock as some 348 frames snapped in that area.

A good source of commonly needed spares/information is Inmotion trials (again, Google them).

6 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Thanks. Sandiford Off-road (try googling them) may have historical records of the frame/engine number dating as they were the importers for Montesa. The silencer indicates 348, not 349. Seems the bike is therefore a 77/78 model.

One thing worth checking is whether there is any damage/evidence of repair to the frame near the headstock as some 348 frames snapped in that area.

A good source of commonly needed spares/information is Inmotion trials (again, Google them).

Thanks, I emailed Martin at Sandiford off road, he said his dad certainly did import bikes back in the day but has no records of any anymore and that he doesn't deal with the old twin shocks anymore, in case anyone tries him again.

5 hours ago, dabber said:

That's a 348 - right shape tailpipe and frame loop over the rear mudguard, just has a 349 type alteration to the frame to integrate the bash plate.

349 bash plate had straight edges - see HERE.

Very eager eyes, something I wouldn't have noticed. Thankyou very much. 

When I can il check the engine number just to verify, should the number match the frame, in theory then? 

Ah, I thought Sandiford's might still have documentation on the old Montesas but at least it now seems pretty clear what you have.

Is the engine all in one piece? Hopefully the holes will line up when it's fitted into the frame, in view of the modification which appear to have been made. I had a slight alignment problem when fitting a replacement engine in my Cota 247 but got round it by using a smaller diameter bolt.

The 348 had an unusual set-up with the drive chain - it ran through plastic tubes instead of using a normal tensioner. These tubes tend to be missing on old 348s but they are available new from Inmotion.

Keep us updated as you build up the bike, advice should be available here as needed!