Beta Techno 250 terrible/sticky rear brake?

glynn

Ive been having problems with the rear brake on my Beta Techno lampkin rep ever since buying it, ive bled the system several times (tried using a vacuum system, and bleeding with mastercylinder above caliper aswell) and it never gets any better, no fluid leaks out of a mastercylinder or anything so id say the seals would be fine. the brake rubs slightly and the lever is spongy (will go to the pedal stop on the skid plate) the brake works but just has a horrible feel and the pads return very slowly. Ive got a trial in a couple weeks so would like to get this sorted if anyone has any ideas?

You may have to pull the caliper and clean the piston bores. I plan to do the same to my '13. Worth a rebuild kit or at least replace the O-ring seals. I had to do my front caliper last year and no amount of finagling would fix it until I "bit the bullet" and just rebuilt the damn thing. Works perfect since. The Lampkin replica is a '99 so I'd say she probably deserves some TLC by this point.

• Like 1

The Technos brakes were always terrible. The best way to bleed them would be to take the whole system off the bike and hang the caliper above the m/c and use a Philips to pump it. You are wasting your time with the vacuum bleeder. Just use the vacuum  for a reservoir to bleed too. Before hand get a caliper rebuild kit, it`s not for leaks. That brake system had rubber grommets that would wear out causing the caliper to rock back and forth. Did I mention they suck.

The rear brake on the Techno that I used to own would fade out during a trial, whatever I did.  

I met a chap a year or two ago who had completely replaced all of the rear brake hydraulic system on his Techno (not the caliper bits) with brand new bits that he had bought from Australia over the Internet..  Apparently they then worked.

Also, behind the bleeder nipple on the rear caliper there is a small ball bearing, which acts as a one way valve.  This might be missing.