Back bleeding braktec

99techno

Has anyone had any experience back bleeding a new bractec system? I believe that back bleeding is the best way to get a good solid feel at the lever but there is no way I can force the fluid back through the system. 

Any help would be much appreciated 

As long as you've released the bleed nipple enough it should back bleed with a syringe no problem. I did one a couple of weeks ago. Messy job though.

If you have one of those alloy bleed nipple/banjos, I'd recommend you junk it for a proper steel one as the banjo sheared off on mine as soon as soon as I tightened the nipple

try back bleeding ( or the other way) then once you feel its not getting any better and still spongy, fill the reservoir, leave the cap off or loose, and tie the lever back to the bar (make sure the lever actually pushes the master cylinder in all the way) or in the case of a back brake, wedge the foot pedal down and leave it for a few days.... you'll find the air makes its own way out....the longer you leave it the better it will be...if your bleeding the front, when you leave the bike make sure there aren't any 'upward' loops in the brake hose across the bars, if need be, tie wrap the hose down to flatten out any loops... 

wish i'd known this sooner, after spending ages trying to bleed the rear brakes on my ossa I could get no pedal pressure.last night I tied the mc to the top of the rear wheel with the cap off.low and behold this morning I have brakes. 

glad it worked!!....back brakes can be a bit of a pain because the hose is quite flat...after a day out you can always leave the bike between rides with the brake's clamped just to keep them up tight...works the same on the clutch as well....

• Like 1

On 11/02/2017 at 5:28 PM, 99techno said:

Has anyone had any experience back bleeding a new bractec system? I believe that back bleeding is the best way to get a good solid feel at the lever but there is no way I can force the fluid back through the system. 

Any help would be much appreciated 

If you can't back bleed through the master cylinder check that the lever adjuster is not set tight, this will hold the master cylinder piston down in the bore and block off the return port. Just back the adjuster right off whilst back bleeding and it should flow straight through to the reservoir.