What do i have??

tiger1828

now then, i brought it as a 248 the f/mud guard has been painted white in the past but the rest is white. did they do the 248 in white? can i tell from the engine # what cc it is? can't find a chassis number!!!

it needs a front suspension rebuild but about all the major things, wheres the best place for monti spares?

Yep that's the one, so now i start a full restoration job, my only problem is going to be parts. It's not going to need that much as it's had a very good life with little use and stored for the last five years. i need some fork internals, seals and bushes but no the whole things look good.

Thank you all for your help.

Not sure where your location is, but in the UK Inmotion trials would be the first port of call for sprockets, cables, seals, brake shoes etc. Ebay throws up secondhand parts pretty regularly (I think forks are same as 348 or 349, which were much more common). What is the actual problem with the internals? A plus point is that it's still got the chain tubes, which tend to be missing on these old Monts. However, the mounting points are prone to wear.

Edited by cleanorbust

yes, thanks for that, i have looked at their site its very good. I have not stripped things yet but the forks are solid! won't move a mm let alone an inch.

The bike seems to unmolested with the exception of the handle bars, what's the pet/oil mix ratio? its broken the gear select spring but i have a new one.

the first job is just to get it running then it is my intention to give it a sympathetic restoration.

17 hours ago, tiger1828 said:

yes, thanks for that, i have looked at their site its very good. I have not stripped things yet but the forks are solid! won't move a mm let alone an inch.

The bike seems to unmolested with the exception of the handle bars, what's the pet/oil mix ratio? its broken the gear select spring but i have a new one.

the first job is just to get it running then it is my intention to give it a sympathetic restoration.

Inside your forks there will be aluminium pistons. These fit inside the stanchions and the tolerance is small. They tend to develop small hairline cracks on the surface, then they swell and jam inside the stanchions. I managed to source some NOS parts from Spain, but even though they were in a sealed bag, they too were cracked. Long story short I managed to reduce the diameter of these aluminium pistons slightly and they now work perfectly

Have fun!

Any info is good, once i get the tubes apart i will have a better idea their in 'soak' so watch this space. yes, thanks for that, i have looked at their site its very good. I have not stripped things yet but the forks are solid! won't move a mm let alone an inch.