Help needed on new style Braktec Monobloc maintenance.

shedracer

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I thought this subject is not specific to one make of bike and would get more chance of getting a reply in this section. 

The new style Braktec monobloc brakes have two covers on the front face (as seen in the attached photo), which look like Torx, but the size of Torx wrench has me stumped, on where to get that size. Anybody else removed these covers, what tool did you use please?

Thanks for your assistance. 

Cheers

D0B69CAE-F499-4E5C-B4F5-4FD33226DFFC_zps

Edited by shedracer

3 hours ago, oni nou said:

find a large deep nut that fits inside[be creative with a small angle grinder] and put a ring/open end spanner on the bit that sticks out above the face of it.

That is a really good idea. Years ago I made a torx key out of an Allen key with a bit of judicious grinding, in the days before torx bits became readily available.

I doubt they are a standard tool. The ISR road race caliper said have a similar setup and you can buy the tool for removing the caps as well as servic kits from ISR. Even then there are different size tools for different sized pistons. 

Why do need to take the caps off? 

Well thanks for all your useful information, I was hoping there would be an actual tool that Braktec recommended, but haven't had a reply from them yet! Surely the Trials teams that use this must know?

I want to remove the caps, pistons and seals, so I can get them powder coated a particular colour. 

Thanks again for your thought and if and if I ever do a get a reply from Braktec, I'll let you know. 

• 1 year later...

If torx T100 isn't available, be careful with improvisation a new tool since it can damage the finish. Protect it with a rag between tool and part. Probably a big nut will be able to turn this cap. Below the one I've made to formula brakes.

39549675684_87eaa4f830.jpg