Can a trials stator power lights for a full mot

jonovrb

Hi. Does anyone know if the stator on a beta evo 300 4t 2011 is capable of powering full bike lights, - headlight, brake light, indicators,etc for a night time mot? If not, is it possible to increase the size of it or is that just asking for trouble? 

I'm sure I could manage with just a day time mot, it's just it would be nice to not have to worry about night time driving, esp in winter when days are so short. 

Also for insurance, I know carol nash do trials insurance but is that just cover for competitions or for any time I wanna go out for a play ☺ 

Thanks for any help

You can, however, present a bike without lights for an MOT and the examiner can pass it with provision of a VT32 advisory certificate stating that the machine should only be used on the public highway between sunrise and sunset, but not within one hour of either, or at times of "seriously reduced visibility". This is commonly known as a daytime MOT.

HTH.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 4

Just as well we never experience seriously reduced visibility at the Scottish?

I think you might have problems with flashing rates on the indicators, especially if the brake light was on at the same time, if the tester was picky (I once had a bike fail due to no split pin in the rear wheel spindle but apparently the same "fault" at the front was not worthy of comment - he said he hadn't noticed) but you could possibly wire in a small battery, though where you might put it I don't know, for test purposes only.

As far as I am aware the change in law that exempted "off road" bikes from the need to have indicators but, with lights, still get what is colloquially known as a full MOT is still extant.

I don't know what use you intend to put the bike to but, up this way, there'd be a very slim chance of it still being there on your return if you left it parked anywhere, locks notwithstanding.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

2 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Day time Mot is available in England unless they just changed the standard....

We're straying off topic but, I'm sorry you're wrong, there is only one type of mot for bikes, I know I'm being a bit anal here but tis a fact. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cabby said:

We're straying off topic but, I'm sorry you're wrong, there is only one type of mot for bikes, I know I'm being a bit anal here but tis a fact. 

My mot has restrictions due to no lights being fitted .....

As far as I know trials bike lights are usually AC with voltage limiting diode(s) to stop bulbs blowing at higher revs. Unless its properly designed in the first place you are going to have trouble with indicators on AC, particularly when the voltage is varying. The stator on the Beta will easily power everything you list once it is well above idle, at idle it will not even power a decent head and tail light.

If you want everything you list that continues to work at low revs, you will need a regulator rectifier (less than £20) and a small gel type battery (Yuasa do them - try MDS battery) All the other bits you need are then standard 12V DC car parts.

Liquid cooled trials bikes generally already have a 12V regulator / rectifier for the cooling fan. You would need to look at your bikes wiring diagram to see if the lights are normally supplied from this DC supply or the more traditional AC setup.

• Like 1

In the US here so please forgive me if I am wrong.  (oh and please correct me so I don't make the same mistake again... )

I know there is some big differences between the US and the UK but the bikes are for the most part the same from what I have been able to tell so...

The Montesa 315R and 4RT are the only bikes I am aware of that have a well regulated 12V output for lights on the stock wiring loom.  If there are others I wouldn't know witch.  I have seen a few Gas Gas trials bikes with regulator rectifiers on the AC circuits running 12V lighting but couldn't speak to if it was factory or not (looked factory on one of them...).

The remainder I have seen and worked on are all as dadof2 has described using an AC output for the lights, if any.  And would require modification in one way or another to run DOT (US version of MOT) weather that be available factory parts or put together from after market bits. 

I can say that my 07 4RT and my wife's 08 Gas Gas both able to run lights, the rest of the bikes I have seen appear to have sufficient output to run lights but I can't say for sure for the rest.

Note: For anyone who cares and/or doesn't know... not all states in the US allow people to road register an off-road bike so take that into consideration when reading my DOT comment above. 

Edited by jonnyc21

indicators are not required on any motorcycle designed for off road use... just had mine done and checked all the paperwork ie dvla rule book online before hand.. you do need a reflector though anything will do.. the lights mustnt flicker and can be tapped by the tester to make sure this is the case,, pretty easy and basic.. the brake lights must work when either front or rear brakes are applied..