1995 JT 350 clutch basket help

lesm

Gone from bad to worse...

I was going to change to new clutch plates. One of the bolts snapped taking off clutch pressure plate. I took the basket out of the engine and set up into a drill press. (The bolt sheared off inside one of the posts on an angle.) I center punched, but the small pilot drill bit just wanted to "wander" all over and was very flimsy. I retried with the center punch and a small but sturdier bit, but after several attempts and trying to reset the center point to drill, the post cracked and a piece broke off. A local dealer has said gonna be hard to find even from factory where I got the plates from. Nothing on Ebay to replace that I could find. Anyone with insight as to whether  "if " I can get a machine shop to make me a new machined post, can the back side be drilled and the new post welded to be as strong? or any aftermarket clutch kits available? This bike is my first trials bike, bought it as a non running and am learning alot but spending more money and time than riding.

Edited by lesm
error

A good machine shop can repair it.I fixed one by machining a new post,milling away the remainder of the old one and securing it by a countersunk Allen bolt from the back of the basket.It lasted the 2 years I had the bike and was fine when I sold it